The "Mosheen & Rocketman's" Boys HS Rankings....Febrewary Cheers!

67 replies to this topic

#61 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

yellow jacket better be praying that the same thing doesn't happen to jackson center as it did last year...

#62 lefty

All State

• Members
  • 738 posts

Member No.: 804

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostMosheen, on 12 February 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

All credibility you may have had went out the window in my eyes. I don't know what kind of garbage power rating or whatever that you are using. SOS means precisely nothing in the tournament. Jackson Center is definitely a Top 10 team. A clear NWO bias here. Anna is one of the hottest D3 teams in the area and you claim they finish with a weak regular season. A big child please to that.

This was your original post, no one else on the board has made a provoking remark,

I read, garbage, bias, and big child to that....

I didn't IM, text, or email you any comment prior, this is your initial statement. I don't take back handed comments
from anyone especially anyone like you! If I was running this site you would have been gone from the first comment
but the rest of us have to put up with your childish remarks. My site has 25,000+ members and if I see your IP address
you will be gone tomorrow.
Wow! Take the guy's arm or first born but don't kick him off your 22,000 member site.

#63 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Here's my 2 cents on this, everyone can take it or leave it(and I'm sure most will leave it).

My personal opinion is that sometimes strength of schedule gets overblown, and any team who's 19-0 is probably one of the 10 best in the state. It's incredibly hard to go undefeated through that many games. However, this is Mosheen's system. He obviously thinks SOS is extremely important, and his rankings reflect that. He doesn't hide from it, he doesn't tweak it every week just to get the results he thinks we want to see. He posts as is for our enjoyment and to get discussion going. His system doesn't think Jackson Center is a top 10 team. So what? They have their shot to prove him wrong...and early tournament exit means they didn't do that. Get to regionals or state and no one will remember what his rankings said.

Keep up the great work Mo! I'm sure everyone of us here hasn't agreed with EVERY ranking you've put out, but at least you're giving us something fact driven and consistent to talk about.

#64 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 3042

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postdhsdawg06, on 13 February 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Here's my 2 cents on this, everyone can take it or leave it(and I'm sure most will leave it).

My personal opinion is that sometimes strength of schedule gets overblown, and any team who's 19-0 is probably one of the 10 best in the state. It's incredibly hard to go undefeated through that many games. However, this is Mosheen's system. He obviously thinks SOS is extremely important, and his rankings reflect that. He doesn't hide from it, he doesn't tweak it every week just to get the results he thinks we want to see. He posts as is for our enjoyment and to get discussion going. His system doesn't think Jackson Center is a top 10 team. So what? They have their shot to prove him wrong...and early tournament exit means they didn't do that. Get to regionals or state and no one will remember what his rankings said.

Keep up the great work Mo! I'm sure everyone of us here hasn't agreed with EVERY ranking you've put out, but at least you're giving us something fact driven and consistent to talk about.

would you feel the same if a team only had 1 loss? to me SOS is the and margin of victory make up about 75% of the formula when you comprise a rating system.

#65 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Postkaizen, on 13 February 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

would you feel the same if a team only had 1 loss? to me SOS is the and margin of victory make up about 75% of the formula when you comprise a rating system.

Could this be skewed by conference?

#66 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 3042

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

possibly? alot of big games coming up for the top teams the next week or so. i will admit the wbl is somewhat down. but both defiance and elida play a respectable out of conference schedule. OG has toned theirs down from years past and baths is miserable.

#67 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

View Postkaizen, on 13 February 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

It would depend on how bad they lost and who to, but yes overall 18-1 is a hell of a season as well. Obviously SOS has to be included, and I still naturally doubt the teams with weak schedules. Margin of victory is no big deal at all to me. Just win. Now obviously if say Defiance is beating Ayersville, Fairview, and Hicksville type teams 20 times in a season by an average of 5, then maybe they'd be overrated. But there comes a point where margin of victory just becomes flashy. I don't care if you win by 15 or 50 personally.

I just think sometimes everyone worries about rankings too much. Especially when there are tournaments that everyone gets into. The true greats will rise and make deep runs, and the overrated teams will be exposed when they play someone good.

#68 RealitySpeaks

All District

• Members
  • 209 posts

Member No.: 6121

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'll add, however, that margin of victory plays a lot into the emotional advantage a team gains going into their next games. Keep in mind that High School kids can be easily intimidated by things like that, regardless of how mature they seem to be otherwise.

For a team to win by eight or 10 every game compared to winning by 20 sends a different message, both to the future opponents and to the psychology of the team itself. This is one of the factors that cause certain coaches to rise above the rest when preparing their team for the tournament trail.
That's just the Reality of it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users