Lima Legion

30 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Lou

All District

• Members
  • 254 posts

Member No.: 4046

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

Just curious, what will the line-up be like this season. I hear a lot of people will be back from last seasons team.

#2 likeitis

All District

• Members
  • 298 posts

Member No.: 3247

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Actually, very few returnees. Gone are: Koverman, Hefner, Strawn, Hampshire, Bellman, Sterling, Yetman, Norton & McKinney. Returning seniors should be: Korkate, Runda, & Eley. Sean Gronas will miss summer ball because of injury. Maybe Caprella & Stephens return, depending on birthdays. Will be missing some huge bats & top two pitchers. Kopilchek (sp) will pitch in Greenville again.

Virtually will be a completely new team. Tryouts should be wide open for this years squad.

#3 three sport man

All District

• Members
  • 204 posts

Member No.: 3531

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (brentwood @ Apr 28 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who are those "a lot of people"? I would think Shawnee and Bath and maybe LCC would be the biggest contributors. I heard that Kottenbrock could come back but he was looking to pitch for the Locos. Is that true? It would be nice to have some local players. I think Danny Jones at Marietta played last year, but he is really struggling this year.

I haven't heard of any kids from Elida or Lima Senior. If Sydney is not having a team, they should pick up some guys from them. It seems that every legion team that goes to state has another legion or two fold to make them better, and Sydney was a pretty good team in the past. Who else would go to Lima? Spencerville, Kenton, USV, Perry...there have to be others.

Napoleon used to be the worst team around, but then once they got all the other teams around them to fold they win all the time. Sandusky took kids from what were three different legion teams to make one megateam like Napoleon, and they won state. Lima goes to state and they pick off more kids from Sydney.

Before you know it, there are only going to be a handful of legion teams left.

i've heard kottenbrock, koverman, sterling, and norton are going to play....deitering from s-ville is playing this season and can play almost anywhere

#4 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Member No.: 2157

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (brentwood @ Apr 28 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Lima friend tonight now tells me that Kottenbrock was asked to play for the Locos but he turned it down because he is having arm trouble at junior college. He is young enough to come back, but if he turned down the Locos, I would doubt he would take a chance and pitch for the legion team. I hope it is not a serious injury. All that excessive throwing last year might have caught up with him. That is another reason high school and legion players should have a pitch count at 100. One kid from Sandusky threw over 150 pitches in two different games in the legion tournament last year also with only two days of rest in between.

I think the parents better start taking control because the coaches don't seem to care. I remember the Shawnee coach got in trouble a couple of years ago making Kopilchak throw around 150 pitches or more. Some coaches will do anything to win a game. The excuse for these coaches can't be that the kid asked to be left in. They should know better for the sake of his future. I know Sterling had a game in the legion tournament where he walked around 10 and struck out over ten in a 9 inning game last year. He probably had to throw at least 140-150 pitches. They won the game, yippee. I have noticed that Sterling's numbers have not changed in the past couple of weeks at Olney. I hope he is not hurt as well. He can bring it.

Coaches need to worry about the kids from time to time, not their coaching records. At least the little league coaches are bound by some rules. The only problem is that many of the good kids also play on travel teams that do not take into account what they do on their town teams.

Sterling will be playing Kottenbrock is taking the summer off stats haven't changed because they don't keep up on it very well but the coach uses alot of pitchers so no one is getting alot of innings Orioles scout told Sterling he gunned him at 94 last week

#5 white_shadow

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 309

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (brentwood @ May 2 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Sterling is hitting 94, he won't be playing for the Lima legion team either. He will be signing a contract. It seems that he doesn't have any control based on the walk totals, but you can teach machanics. You can't teach 94 if that is true. Some teams will be afraid that he has no control, but it only takes one team to like him.

I hope Kottenbrock does take the summer off if there is anything wrong. No time to waste his future by trying to pitch a couple of innings of legion ball. Get healthy!

Is it true that the Gallant kid from shawnee is going with Kopilchak this summer?

Agree that if someone is throwing 94 they wouldn't/shouldn't be pitching for Lima Legion. Drafted or at the very least since he's from Lima, the Locos would be a more viable option if that speed is accurate.

Pretty sure that Gallant is playing in Greenville.

#6 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (white_shadow @ May 2 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree that if someone is throwing 94 they wouldn't/shouldn't be pitching for Lima Legion. Drafted or at the very least since he's from Lima, the Locos would be a more viable option if that speed is accurate.

Pretty sure that Gallant is playing in Greenville.

Sterling has recieved questionaires from Atlanta and Washington but does plan on playing legion ball so he can get back up to the plate to hit possibly for the last time. He has had alot of walks but not giving up alot of runs with e.r.a at 2.78 and opponent batting avg at 169 isn't bad he actually seems to need that pressure of runners on base

Edited by B-cat, 03 May 2009 - 08:04 AM.

#7 Dr. Lou

All District

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (B-cat @ May 3 2009, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sterling has recieved questionaires from Atlanta and Washington but does plan on playing legion ball so he can get back up to the plate to hit possibly for the last time. He has had alot of walks but not giving up alot of runs with e.r.a at 2.78 and opponent batting avg at 169 isn't bad he actually seems to need that pressure of runners on base

that's great!

#8 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

Anyone know the summer plans of Vorhees from wapak

#9 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Dr. Lou @ Apr 28 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious, what will the line-up be like this season. I hear a lot of people will be back from last seasons team.

Tryout meeting May 17 at 1pm at legion post on Southshore Drive

#10 Dr. Lou

All District

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (B-cat @ May 10 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tryout meeting May 17 at 1pm at legion post on Southshore Drive

How long will the tryouts be, and please post rosters after, or if it's basically figured up now could someone post?

#11 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Dr. Lou @ May 11 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long will the tryouts be, and please post rosters after, or if it's basically figured up now could someone post?

Tryouts will usually start monday after meeting and go till thursday roster should be known by friday

#12 Dr. Lou

All District

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (B-cat @ May 11 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tryouts will usually start monday after meeting and go till thursday roster should be known by friday

at lima senior field?

#13 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Dr. Lou @ May 11 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at lima senior field?

I would say yes

#14 baseball007

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Member No.: 4824

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (B-cat @ May 8 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know the summer plans of Vorhees from wapak

heard hes not playing

#15 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (baseball007 @ May 14 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
heard hes not playing

Tell him to come to Lima also looks like Kottenbrock might play but not pitch

#16 Dr. Lou

All District

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (brentwood @ May 22 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did the roster come out?

from what i hear they're still not completely set on rosters, shawnee might still have some guys that come out i guess. From what I hear though they should be solid again.

#17 Double Nickel

All District

• Members
  • 213 posts

Member No.: 1293

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

-First off Sterling isn't going anywhere this summer.....he won't get drafted.

-Kottenbrock is out for the summer with arm issues and won't be playing.

-Lima will not be "unbeatable" Brentwood so don't start pouring gasoline on the fire. Will they be good?....yes will they compete for a state title? yes....but unbeatable in American Legion Baseball is impossible.

-Pitching wise behind Sterling will be a solid staff......Tyler Norton who played at St Marys and had a successful spring at Olney Central JC will get a lot of innings....also as mentioned above, Kevin Korkate will be on the bump quite a bit...as well as Tyler Deitering from Spencerville.....Scott Goedde from Bath and Garrett Black from Shawnee as well...(there are a few others as well)----so the pitching staff should be solid.

-Offensively, LL won't be as dynamic top to bottom as they've been in the past.....but will still be solid as usual with Sterling back swinging the bat well and Mike Bogan © from Wapak as well.

-Overall as you can tell by reading the post above LL will be SOLID this year and could get down to state and compete for the title similar to last year.

#18 runsfar

All League

• Members
  • 64 posts

Member No.: 4797

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (brentwood @ May 28 2009, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I talked with a kid that plays on the team this year, and he said that Kottenbrock would be pitching some for them along with Sterling. I was told by an LCC guy that Kottenbrock was told not to pitch at all and that Sterling would sign pretty quickly if he gets a decent offer from the draft.

This kid said they are going to be 'unbeatable'. I know Kopilchak and Gallant are not playing. Who else is back to pitch if Sterling goes pro and Kottenbrock listens to the medical community? The Korkate kid is a really good pitcher I know. I haven't heard about many other Lima pitchers unless Strawn and Hefner are back.

I know Findlay's legion is pretty much set and Ottawa was supposed to have their tryouts already. Anybody know who made their team and what they look like? Napoleon should always be good with all the schools they have to choose from.

some of the NWC guys. Bogart from Grove, Rahrig, Miller from Jefferson, Kisor I think from Bluffton, Clay from Crestview. Some of the Ottawa guys and I understand a pitcher from Marietta that played for them last year.

#19 Double Nickel

All District

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Brentwood,
-Sterling has so much potential to be a draft pick just because of his stuff and velocity obviously but struggled this past spring with control problems which is why he only threw a couple hand fulls of innings at OC. If he can buckle down and have a good year this summer (which he's looked great so far during practices....doesn't tell much though obviously) as well as next year up in Olney he will be getting his name called eventually.....just not this summer I don't think.

-As far as Kottenbrock, your absolutely correct he has been a work horse wherever he has pitched at (LCC especially) so a rest is what he needs....because he like Sterling has a possible bright future ahead of him.

-Korkate has had a few schools offer him scholarships from what I've heard.....Findlay as well as Huntington in Indiana have showed great interest.......wherever he ends up he will have success.

-Garrett Black is not Ron's son.....he is Shawnee's SS and pitches some as well.....Ron's son, Tyler will be on the roster though (1B/P from Bath) who has good size and upside as well

-As far as getting to state.....don't count your chickens til they hatch-----anything can happen come tournament time......Post 96 will take it one game at a time and go from there

-Also seems like your familar a bit with Ottawa Legion.....if Blaski's back then that just spells trouble for teams because he can flat out play.....if I remember right both game between Ottawa and Lima were decided by one run both games (they split with Lima winning at home and Ottawa at home as well)--they certainly have a pitching coach over there in Geno...............should be an interesting summer for sure!

#20 Double Nickel

All District

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

Brentwood,
-No I do not......am pretty good friends with their head coach, and coaching staff and a few kids that played there the last few years.

-But also I can tell you that Sterling is not throwing 94.....i would say 90-92 every 5-6 fastballs he throws.....not too shabby though if you ask me

-Good to hear some feedback on some of the teams in the area.....i am scheduled to work at a few of Lima's games as well as a few up at Ottawa and Findlay....had Findlay a few times last year....didn't think much of them honestly....Dreup (sp?) kid from Arlington didn't impress to a whole lot on the hill.....but Napolean is always solid up there having one of the best areas in the state to draw kids from (Defiance.....Patrick Henry.....Ayersville.....Fairview just to name a few).....curious as to whether Kime is on their roster or not. I've had the plate for both him and Burgoon and I honestly was more impressed with Kime that I was Burgoon (neither one compared to Neise and Billingsly though)---Any word on where Kime is looking to play in a few years? I heard Louisville? Any truth to that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users