Running

18 replies to this topic

#1 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Those of you who know me know that I'm a fat MF'r. Terribly out of shape and look like crap. Well in August I decided to change the way things were going and do something drastic.

I started a low carb diet and the pounds started to melt off. I also included situps and pushups every night. I went from 280lbs to 220lbs (currently 222). I dropped from a size 42 pant to size 36 and can almost manage a 34. I feel great. Seeing pictures of myself from last year make me disgusted.

Now its time to start toning this flab. I joined Planet Fitness in Sylvania going 3-4 times a week. AND I've taken up running....

I started the Couch 2 5K program on my phone. My sister did it and she just ran a half marathon. I'm thru week 4 of the 8 week program and am loving it more every day.

So a couple questions so people can share...

Do you run?
What kind of distance/ time do you run?
How often are you out running?
What shoe do you use?

The program I am doing is more of a time building right now. Week 6 gets in to distances, but I usually cover around 2.5 miles in the 31 minute workout mixing walking and running. I bought a pair of Reebok ZigKick shoes which I really like. I know Brooks and others are better, but these were on sale and I didnt want to spend 100 on shoes if I wasnt gonna keep this up.

Please share your experiences....
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#2 Mo-Problems

All State

• Members
  • 733 posts

Member No.: 3654

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

I was bringing an old couch out to my brothers place to burn on Sunday. One of the cushions flew off the trailer. My brother stopped his truck, I hopped out and ran to retrieve it. When I got back in the truck, my daughter said "That's the first time I've seen you run". She's almost 9.
It's not that I don't run. Up until this year I've played softball. I'm just definitely not a regular. With the knee problems I've had for the last 20 years (yes, since I was 13), running just makes me miserable. I prefer biking. Much easier on the knees and for someone who gets bored easily, biking allows me to "see" more stuff and not get so bored.
One thing I learned, with terrible knees and still being active, is that the shoes make a HUGE difference. They only have so many miles they can give and eventually the support just isn't there that you need. Keep an eye on them and try to find a trusted "shoe guy" that can tell you when they're worn out and when it's time to replace them.
Posted Image
I'd rather shower at Penn State than root for Michigan.

#3 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

I used to run a lot when I was younger. Now its more of some run, some walk. About 4 miles daily. In my opinion the best shoes are New Balance. They have the most choices for the type of foot problems you may encounter. Brooks are Asics are good, but I find them TOO soft. (too soft can cause achillies problems).

You need someone to look at you from behind, (no doubt for the first time since high school, lol) to see if your feet over pronate. (roll inward) For that, you would need a stability shoe or your knees and achillies will start bothering you. You might also need a stability shoe if your "Q" angle is bad. (The Q angle is the measured degree of angle between your lower and upper leg).

I could go on forever, but have quickly become boored with my own incessant ramblings. Good luck though.

#4 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

View Postlepiota, on 07 May 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I used to run a lot when I was younger. Now its more of some run, some walk. About 4 miles daily. In my opinion the best shoes are New Balance. They have the most choices for the type of foot problems you may encounter. Brooks are Asics are good, but I find them TOO soft. (too soft can cause achillies problems).

You need someone to look at you from behind, (no doubt for the first time since high school, lol) to see if your feet over pronate. (roll inward) For that, you would need a stability shoe or your knees and achillies will start bothering you. You might also need a stability shoe if your "Q" angle is bad. (The Q angle is the measured degree of angle between your lower and upper leg).

I could go on forever, but have quickly become boored with my own incessant ramblings. Good luck though.
You bored me too...took me three times reading your post and I still don't care. Lol.

The ZigKick feel great. My legs and feet aren't sore when I'm done so I guess that's a good sign.

#5 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Obie.......

Your news is great news....keep up the good work as it will always make you feel good physically as well as mentally!!!!!

#6 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

It's always good to hear stories of active guys enjoying running. I used to run a bit-actually ran 4-5 5k's a year a few years ago. My knees won't stand for it anymore though. I still walk 2-3 miles a night. Actually my wife is like a walk Nazi-won't let me sit on the couch in the evening-making me walk! She walks with me-and she talks the whole time…I act like I am listening to her! lol

My son runs a lot-he loves ASICS shoes. Have you ever tried the toe shoes? Supposed to be awesome-but fairly expensive.

I'll start riding my bike soon-I ride out into the wilderness of Indiana….or I'll ride around the Lake….like Mo-I like to look at the scenery!!

Edited by fortfan, 07 May 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#7 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postfortfan, on 07 May 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

It's always good to hear stories of active guys enjoying running. I used to run a bit-actually ran 4-5 5k's a year a few years ago. My knees won't stand for it anymore though. I still walk 2-3 miles a night. Actually my wife is like a walk Nazi-won't let me sit on the couch in the evening-making me walk! She walks with me-and she talks the whole time…I act like I am listening to her! lol

My son runs a lot-he loves ASICS shoes. Have you ever tried the toe shoes? Supposed to be awesome-but fairly expensive.

I'll start riding my bike soon-I ride out into the wilderness of Indiana….or I'll ride around the Lake….like Mo-I like to look at the scenery!!

My wife has toe shoes but they don't have enough support for me. I am so worn out from sports that my feet need an exoskeleton, lol

#8 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

View Postfortfan, on 07 May 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

I have a pair of Vibram Five Finger shoes but I wouldnt run in them...at least not at this stage. Its basically like running barefoot. I need some padding because I'm kind of a plodder.

#9 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

I prefer to ride my bicycle up to Stinkys for my exercise...about 4 miles each way, just seems longer going home!
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#10 Osu4me

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,173 posts

Member No.: 1916

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Obie, Congrats on the huge change in your life. It's for the better -100%!

Mo and fortfan, I had a really bad ski accident college that just tore up my left knee but to this day I have been able to avoid surgery due to water thearpy. Find a pool and squat alittle and just bounce up and down. It really helps make the knees stronger. You won't feel it while in the pool but you will feel a huge difference in a couple of days. If you have a hot tub you can do
the bounce in there too.

#11 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

The old "hot tub bounce" huh?
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#12 Duh Huh Dull Sucks

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Member No.: 3689

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostOsu4me, on 08 May 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

...squat a little and just bounce up and down. It really helps make the knees stronger. You won't feel it while in the pool but you will feel a huge difference in a couple of days.

Mind if I borrow this advice for a girlfriend?

#13 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Member No.: 1315

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Congrats on the weight loss. Within the last 5 years or so I have dropped 50 pounds and kept it off.

Been doing this thing called Cross Fit- it's a blast... even though I heavily modify the workouts to my athletic level. (* Those who know me may insert athletic type jokes here.)

Right now I have a pair of Asics I really like.

#14 erniefurgler

All District

• Members
  • 195 posts

Member No.: 3470

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Run 2-3 miles a few times a week...run in Brooks right now (2nd pair) & really like them. Shoes def make a difference for me. I like Asics as well with NB coming in 3rd. Started biking last summer to mix it up a bit & give my legs a little break. Signed up for a Warrior Dash this summer...try one, you'll like it

#15 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

I completed week 5 Day 2 of the program this morning. It starts with a 5 minute warm up walk. Then you run for 3/4 mile or 8 minutes, walk for 1/2 mile or 5 minutes, run for 3/4 miles or 8 minutes. Then a 5 minute cool down walk. Hardest day yet but I felt great after. I couldve ran farther then the 8 minutes but I'm sticking to the program. Day 3 of week 5 is a 2 mile run with no walking in between...that has me a little nervous.

#16 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

obie......

you will complete that 2 mile run in flying colors!!!!!!

#17 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'm signing up for my first 5K on June 15th

#18 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Wednesday was the first time I have tried to do 3 miles. I covered 3.03 miles in 27:40.....not too bad in my opinion.

#19 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

I decided to go for a run the other day. I took off from home and ran for 2 minutes, but had to go back because I forgot something. I forgot I was fat and out of shape and could only run for 2 minutes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users