Jump to content



Lima Area DIII


12 replies to this topic

#1 Lifetime Fan

    All League

  • Members
  • 60 posts

    Joined: 06-January 14
    Member No.: 9563

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

With another thread focusing on the WBL, thought it would be good to start a DIII thread for the Lima area.

With the additions of Lucas, Hennon, and Cunningham at LCC, the T-Birds appear to be the top DIII team, at least as far as individuals are concerned. With returning state-placers Huffman and Lucas, and a few potential state qualifiers such as Cunningham, Hennon, and Kimball, LCC could push to be on the board at state.

Coldwater has Uhlenhake, Seibert, and Schmidt returning; Spencerville has Vandemark; Allen East has Caprella; W-T has Clemens, Goeltzenleuchter, and Showalter; Ada has Windle, Beach and Woodland; St. Johns has Buettner; Jefferson has Foust. All of these kids should have a chance to qualify to state. I most likely missed some kids - looking forward to someone filling in the gaps.

As usual, Coldwater probably has best team due to depth, but LCC appears to best individuals in regard to District and State success.


#2 OSU Fanatic

    All League

  • Members
  • 96 posts

    Joined: 28-August 14
    Member No.: 9685

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:47 PM

Why did the Lucas kid leave Shawnee?


#3 OSU Fanatic

    All League

  • Members
  • 96 posts

    Joined: 28-August 14
    Member No.: 9685

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostOSU Fanatic, on 18 November 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

Why did the Lucas kid leave Shawnee?
D-2 must of been to tough or was it for the betterment of his education?
But LCC doesn't recruit right!


#4 Lifetime Fan

    All League

  • Members
  • 60 posts

    Joined: 06-January 14
    Member No.: 9563

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

OSU Fanataic - if you dig a little deeper, you would see that the Shawnee boys that left were leaving regardless of where they went, they chose to go where they though they could get the most out of wrestling. Perhaps you should ask why two Shawnee boys left and Hefner is not wrestling? May have more to do with Shawnee than LCC, although a reinvigorated LCC program could attract, not recruit, serious wrestlers.

#5 OSU Fanatic

    All League

  • Members
  • 96 posts

    Joined: 28-August 14
    Member No.: 9685

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostLifetime Fan, on 01 December 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

OSU Fanataic - if you dig a little deeper, you would see that the Shawnee boys that left were leaving regardless of where they went, they chose to go where they though they could get the most out of wrestling. Perhaps you should ask why two Shawnee boys left and Hefner is not wrestling? May have more to do with Shawnee than LCC, although a reinvigorated LCC program could attract, not recruit, serious wrestlers.
I agree there maybe a problem at Shawnee but, leaving for a parochial school so they don't lose a years eligibility is just fishy in my book!

#6 Lifetime Fan

    All League

  • Members
  • 60 posts

    Joined: 06-January 14
    Member No.: 9563

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

They lose the same amount of time regardless of where they go - 1/2 of a season. The new rules apply to all schools and all transfers, unless a student meets one of the OHSAA exemptions, none of which have to do with going to a parochial school. If you were a serious wrestler, and your home school mistreated you and decided to leave, which Lima area school near Shawnee appears to be most serious about wrestling at this point in time? Elida? Spencerville? DSJ? Lima Senior? Wapakoneta? Wapakoneta could make a good argument, but they do not seem to be as interested in meeting the needs of the high end wrestlers that want to wrestle year around. Are you really going to blame any high quality wrestler in the Lima area that decides to transfer to another school? Until the local programs get their acts together and offer better programs, do not be surprised if Lucas, Hennon and Cunningham are the first of many. Lima is light years behind the rest of Ohio in wrestling; much like football and basketball players around Ohio, good players rarely stay in bad programs. What you are witnessing may simply be Lima catching up with the times.

If you want to discuss recruiting, perhaps you should go to a basketball thread and discuss Lima Senior under their new leadership.

#7 OSU Fanatic

    All League

  • Members
  • 96 posts

    Joined: 28-August 14
    Member No.: 9685

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostLifetime Fan, on 02 December 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

They lose the same amount of time regardless of where they go - 1/2 of a season. The new rules apply to all schools and all transfers, unless a student meets one of the OHSAA exemptions, none of which have to do with going to a parochial school. If you were a serious wrestler, and your home school mistreated you and decided to leave, which Lima area school near Shawnee appears to be most serious about wrestling at this point in time? Elida? Spencerville? DSJ? Lima Senior? Wapakoneta? Wapakoneta could make a good argument, but they do not seem to be as interested in meeting the needs of the high end wrestlers that want to wrestle year around. Are you really going to blame any high quality wrestler in the Lima area that decides to transfer to another school? Until the local programs get their acts together and offer better programs, do not be surprised if Lucas, Hennon and Cunningham are the first of many. Lima is light years behind the rest of Ohio in wrestling; much like football and basketball players around Ohio, good players rarely stay in bad programs. What you are witnessing may simply be Lima catching up with the times.

If you want to discuss recruiting, perhaps you should go to a basketball thread and discuss Lima Senior under their new leadership.
So what your saying there not going to compete till after Christmas or later we will see. Not blaming anyone but it just seems to be a coincidence that all the good athletes seem to leave for a Catholic School we they are having problems where there at. Not POINTING fingers at anyone just stating a fact that this is not the only time it's happened not just in wrestling. It's just funny that when someone points this out people get up in arms! :)
I could careless who they have good competition is good for our division and will just make our area stronger and this is a good thing as I would love to see more area wrestlers in March at the Shot!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OSU Fanatic, 03 December 2014 - 06:30 AM.


#8 Lifetime Fan

    All League

  • Members
  • 60 posts

    Joined: 06-January 14
    Member No.: 9563

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:27 AM

OSU - you say you are not pointing fingers at anyone, yet you are the one who stated LCC is recruiting. Recruiting is explicitly against the rules of the OHSAA. If anyone has evidence, they should report LCC to the OHSAA and let the investigation begin. You say that it is funny that every time someone points out that athletes show up at LCC that people get up in arms. Perhaps it is because those people are offended by being called cheaters. Out of the more than 900 Lima City School students enrolled in other local school districts, only a small handful are actually in the local Catholic schools - the vast majority have open enrolled at public schools such as Elida, Shawnee, Perry and Bath, as well as attending local charter schools. Why does no one seem interested in pointing out when athletes suddenly show up at local public schools? What would have been your reaction if these athletes showed up at another local public school such as Spencerville?

It seems to mystify a great many people that families would choose to pay tuition to send their students to a private school. You mentioned it in your own post; many of these students move after they have had problems at the local public school. I am sure Shawnee has a different view, but from a wrestler's perspective, they mistreated their entire wrestling team, specifically the boys who left. Why would they not seek a better environment? When seeking a better environment, is it so inconceivable that a private school is not an option? Private schools only survive by offering excellent programs which allow motivated people to succeed.

Before one makes an accusation of recruiting, perhaps a few questions should be answered:

1. Should students stay in programs or school situations that do not fulfill their needs or protect their rights?

2. If a student should not be required to stay, should his/her options be limited only to other public school districts?

3. If the answer to the first two questions is NO, should it be assumed that anyone choosing a private school over public was somehow illegally influenced to attend said private school?

The intimation people too often make is that the LCC is flush with money and somehow pays athletes to attend their school so they can win a few games. The notion is complete rubbish. Ask their teachers and staff about the financial situation. LCC is struggling to keep the doors open, and may not even exist within 10 years, possibly less. The only way it can attract students is to offer excellent programs of all varieties, specifically academic and athletic (music seems to be wishful thinking at LCC - their music programs are awful!). Attracting students and then not charging tuition is counter-productive.

As one can tell, I am an LCC supporter, but I am not an apologist. If you want to bash me with Jerry Cooper, I would be hard pressed to defend the school's decision to support his antics and lack of a disciplined football program. Ultimately, maybe that is why he is Tennessee now.

Let's move on to something we agree on - that is time for more Lima area wrestlers to get to the state tournament and place! We have quality athletes, but we need to elevate our game. The best way to do this is to get our local programs to work harder, specifically in the off season. There are a few local clubs that are active in the off-season, with Team Stomp being the most visible. I think we need to encourage more of our wrestlers to be active in this type of activity, as it seems that wrestling has become a sport where the casual competitor struggles to do more than qualify for districts

Another way to do this would be to have more local schools offer high end tournaments in season which attract teams from other regions of the state. LCC is doing this in DIII; we need an Elida to step up and put on a great wrestling show in the Fieldhouse. At this point, they seem content to host the JH tournament, which is a positive, but not enough. Lima Sr. currently has their tournament which is OK, but not excellent. Wapak's tournament is very good, and we can see the results in their program. Unfortunately, many other local schools such as Shawnee and Bath do not have the facilities to host tournaments other than the smaller local variety, which is not the path to state level success. Along with hosting high end tournaments, our local teams need to attend better tournaments, which does require a commitment from the schools.

#9 OSU Fanatic

    All League

  • Members
  • 96 posts

    Joined: 28-August 14
    Member No.: 9685

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostLifetime Fan, on 03 December 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

OSU - you say you are not pointing fingers at anyone, yet you are the one who stated LCC is recruiting. Recruiting is explicitly against the rules of the OHSAA. If anyone has evidence, they should report LCC to the OHSAA and let the investigation begin. You say that it is funny that every time someone points out that athletes show up at LCC that people get up in arms. Perhaps it is because those people are offended by being called cheaters. Out of the more than 900 Lima City School students enrolled in other local school districts, only a small handful are actually in the local Catholic schools - the vast majority have open enrolled at public schools such as Elida, Shawnee, Perry and Bath, as well as attending local charter schools. Why does no one seem interested in pointing out when athletes suddenly show up at local public schools? What would have been your reaction if these athletes showed up at another local public school such as Spencerville?

It seems to mystify a great many people that families would choose to pay tuition to send their students to a private school. You mentioned it in your own post; many of these students move after they have had problems at the local public school. I am sure Shawnee has a different view, but from a wrestler's perspective, they mistreated their entire wrestling team, specifically the boys who left. Why would they not seek a better environment? When seeking a better environment, is it so inconceivable that a private school is not an option? Private schools only survive by offering excellent programs which allow motivated people to succeed.

Before one makes an accusation of recruiting, perhaps a few questions should be answered:

1. Should students stay in programs or school situations that do not fulfill their needs or protect their rights?

2. If a student should not be required to stay, should his/her options be limited only to other public school districts?

3. If the answer to the first two questions is NO, should it be assumed that anyone choosing a private school over public was somehow illegally influenced to attend said private school?

The intimation people too often make is that the LCC is flush with money and somehow pays athletes to attend their school so they can win a few games. The notion is complete rubbish. Ask their teachers and staff about the financial situation. LCC is struggling to keep the doors open, and may not even exist within 10 years, possibly less. The only way it can attract students is to offer excellent programs of all varieties, specifically academic and athletic (music seems to be wishful thinking at LCC - their music programs are awful!). Attracting students and then not charging tuition is counter-productive.

As one can tell, I am an LCC supporter, but I am not an apologist. If you want to bash me with Jerry Cooper, I would be hard pressed to defend the school's decision to support his antics and lack of a disciplined football program. Ultimately, maybe that is why he is Tennessee now.

Let's move on to something we agree on - that is time for more Lima area wrestlers to get to the state tournament and place! We have quality athletes, but we need to elevate our game. The best way to do this is to get our local programs to work harder, specifically in the off season. There are a few local clubs that are active in the off-season, with Team Stomp being the most visible. I think we need to encourage more of our wrestlers to be active in this type of activity, as it seems that wrestling has become a sport where the casual competitor struggles to do more than qualify for districts

Another way to do this would be to have more local schools offer high end tournaments in season which attract teams from other regions of the state. LCC is doing this in DIII; we need an Elida to step up and put on a great wrestling show in the Fieldhouse. At this point, they seem content to host the JH tournament, which is a positive, but not enough. Lima Sr. currently has their tournament which is OK, but not excellent. Wapak's tournament is very good, and we can see the results in their program. Unfortunately, many other local schools such as Shawnee and Bath do not have the facilities to host tournaments other than the smaller local variety, which is not the path to state level success. Along with hosting high end tournaments, our local teams need to attend better tournaments, which does require a commitment from the schools.


I would completely agree with the bottom portion of your statement you on this!!
So we can agree on a few things!
I take my kids to Jordan during the summer and during the season on Sundays so that they can see the best competition possible!
Also they go to Wapak for extra workouts, so with that being said every little bit helps but seeing the same guys every week creates bad habits that's why we like Jordan's different just about every week!

Edited by OSU Fanatic, 03 December 2014 - 10:36 AM.


#10 Lifetime Fan

    All League

  • Members
  • 60 posts

    Joined: 06-January 14
    Member No.: 9563

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Any results from teams in action yesterday?

#11 Lifetime Fan

    All League

  • Members
  • 60 posts

    Joined: 06-January 14
    Member No.: 9563

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

Results from weekend? Nothing in Lima News.

#12 Bobby

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,329 posts

    Joined: 02-January 06
    Member No.: 71

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

The Sunday, December 14 Lima News had results of Coldwater and Lincolnview.

#13 Lifetime Fan

    All League

  • Members
  • 60 posts

    Joined: 06-January 14
    Member No.: 9563

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Bobby - I must have scanned too quickly!







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users