Best Coach in the State?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Gview

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Member No.: 2938

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

Saw the topic about best coach in the Northwest, just thought we would see what everyone thought about the coaches in the entire State?

Some of my picks--

D3

Southwest-Jon Unger (Madeira), George Stinson (Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy)
Miami Valley-Jim Hardman (Yellow Springs), Shane Latham (Springfield Catholic Central)
Northwest-Mark Czubik (Kalida), Armando Cabrera (Fort Jennings
Southeast-Paul Boll (Wheelersburg)
Northeast-Dani Giulvezan (Hawken)
Central-Robb Ingram (Bloom-Carroll)

D2

Southwest-Vagelis Kontopos (Finneytown)
Miami Valley-Charlie Luse (Bellbrook), Bob Ellis (Alter)
Central-Greg Kullman (Bexley)
Northwest-Mike Weihrauch (Ottawa-Glandorf)
Souhteast-Dale Ross (Tri Valley)
Northeast-John Kissner (Walsh Jesuit)

#2 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

You forgot Bob Eakins from Greeneview. smile.gif

Edited by formercoach, 27 January 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#3 Gview

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(formercoach @ Jan 27 2008, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You forgot Bob Eakins from Greeneview. smile.gif

I didn't forget him (his record is not even close to the two mentioned (Jim Hardman and Shane Latham). He had 1 great season going 23-0-0, but other than that what has he done?

#4 spiderman

All League

• Members
  • 64 posts

Member No.: 3261

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

coach luthman from new knoxville is a great coach

#5 DallasMavericks

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Member No.: 3365

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

i agree that Greg Luthman from New Knoxville should be on that list. Because he was the one who made Fort Jennings into a great competitive soccer school, lead the Wapakeneta girls to a couple of championships, and is turning it around for New Knoxville with great wins over St. Marys, and Fort Jennings.

#6 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

This is an easy answer.....the best coach in the state is Jim Tressel!

#7 KTC18

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Member No.: 3433

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

HAHAHAHAHA thats hillarious!
TCOH

#8 ohiosoccerfan17

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Member No.: 3482

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Jim Tressel? This isn't the girls forum sarcasm.gif
At Anthony Wayne I've heard mixed reviews about players liking and not liking coach Shook who I've always heard to be an excellent coach. But other than that coach McElroy at Ottawa Hills has only made the team there better, and he's only been there for 3 years. Also in D1 coach Creech at Northview has only been a great asset to their program.

#9 sclfan

All District

• Members
  • 125 posts

Member No.: 117

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

Best coach in the state??

Your coach - if you believe in his/her system and they get you to play your best at 100% every time.

#10 Greenwave88

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Member No.: 251

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

it would be nice to have your players always believe in your system
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

#11 Public Enemy #1

All League

• Members
  • 26 posts

Member No.: 3885

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Not Armando this year. FJ aint going nowhere

#12 AFA Falcon 2012

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 3682

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Cabrera? really? what is there record this year?
Go Falcons!

#13 Gview

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

Just because a team doesn't have a good record doesn't mean that he isn't a great coach. I have seen Ft. Jennings play a few years ago and was very impressed with the style they played, their demeaner (sp?) on the field, and with their effort. I want to make it clear that this was a few years ago, and I (probably better than anyone) know that things can go south on you in a hurry. It's what you take from it that makes a difference.

Edited by Gview, 29 September 2008 - 08:01 AM.

#14 salamander_trashcan

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Member No.: 1753

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

I would agree with several of the posts abover that Greg Luthman is a great coach. He knows his stuff and can get a team to work together and develop players to do what he needs them to do.

Also, if I remember correctly, he has a sweet moustache.

#15 ninjaX

All District

• Members
  • 125 posts

Member No.: 2689

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

what makes a good coach? Is the coach actually good or did the coach just have really good players? and you could have the best coach in the world and all your players be blind (no offense to blind people) and still have a bad team/record? Therefore if a coach has a losing record he could still be good right? wacko.gif idk....
Beets, Bears, Battle Star Galactica!

#16 NanoVapor

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 3841

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 20 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
coach luthman from new knoxville is a great coach

I had Luthman for a Club coach, and he is indeed a very good coach.

#17 Thumper

All District

• Members
  • 105 posts

Member No.: 2633

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

A good coach is someone who can develop the talent of the players he has. A coach who can change the style of play year after year to match the type of players he has to work with. Ive seen coaches with alot of talent who do not do well, and Ive seen coaches who have very little talent and develop them over time into a powerhouse team.

the year Maundo <sp> took over fort jennings they had alot of talent and was ranked high in the state for the next couple of years. This year he has young players maybe less skilled. Lets see what he does with them. Luthman I agree is an experienced coach who I respect and has developed players on many levels of play. Kevin lynch from botkins has done a nice job developing his program from scratch. Liberty Benton coach has done a nice job as well.

QUOTE(NanoVapor @ Sep 29 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had Luthman for a Club coach, and he is indeed a very good coach.

Edited by Thumper, 30 September 2008 - 08:56 PM.

#18 Theodore

All District

• Members
  • 353 posts

Member No.: 3752

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

Dave Shannon from Temple Christian shouldn't be forgotton. It's only his second year coaching High School soccer. Last year's record was 11-4-1 and is off to a good start again this year with a record of 9-1-2 with a very young team. thumbup1.gif
"Not All Pain is Gain"

#19 DISSENT

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Member No.: 2866

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

clap.gif Here's a twist: In NW Ohio, how about Jill Hovest at Pandora-Gilboa?! Forget wins and losses for a moment and let's consider what she has done this year:

1. Saved the Program: Last year's coach took a different job. The school board hired a new coach who, at the last moment (a day or so before the season began) decided not to be the coach. So, with students pleading with her to save the program, Jill stepped up to the plate.

2. Building the Program: She started with about 9 players and has since added approximately 11 more. She has 4-5 girls, many freshman/sophomores, and few upper-classmen. Her starting goalie is wearing an arm cast and now is playing defense. Her players love & respect her.

3. Facing the Giants: Taking a JV team varsity! Her "JV level team" (this is not an insult, but a quote from Jill herself) has faced Ottoville, Liberty Benton, Kalida, and Temple so far and will play Riverdale to end their regular season.

Jill has stepped-up and done a very noble job. Best coach? In many ways -- YES ! clap.gif

Edited by DISSENT, 02 October 2008 - 07:06 AM.

#20 Theodore

All District

• Members
  • 353 posts

Member No.: 3752

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(DISSENT @ Oct 1 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
clap.gif Here's a twist: In NW Ohio, how about Jill Henry at Pandora-Gilboa?! Forget wins and losses for a moment and let's consider what she has done this year:

1. Saved the Program: Last year's coach took a different job. The school board hired a new coach who, at the last moment (a day or so before the season began) decided not to be the coach. So, with students pleading with her to save the program, Jill stepped up to the plate.

2. Building the Program: She started with about 9 players and has since added approximately 11 more. She has 4-5 girls, many freshman/sophomores, and few upper-classmen. Her starting goalie is wearing an arm cast and now is playing defense. Her players love & respect her.

3. Facing the Giants: Taking a JV team varsity! Her "JV level team" (this is not an insult, but a quote from Jill herself) has faced Ottoville, Liberty Benton, Kalida, and Temple so far and will play Riverdale to end their regular season.

Jill has stepped-up and done a very noble job. Best coach? In many ways -- YES ! clap.gif

pigskinp.gif
Now that is thinking outside the box totally DISSENT! (I like it!) She gets my vote.
"Not All Pain is Gain"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users