"Flounder & Rocketman's" 2011-12 Girls Final HS Rankings!!

41 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Our final rankings of the season dovetails nicely into the girls basketball tournament underway this week........The "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls
HS Rankings continue to garner accolades as the best rankings that you can find anywhere.......yes, I said anywhere!

For the past 10 years we believe that we have this down to a science.......(not saying the Flound or I were chemistry majors)........ours has traditionally
focused on results that can be measured by tournament success. Like we've said many times in the past, a gaudy record does nothing to impress....
Strength of Schedule weighs heavily into our formula, and continued excellence on the Big Stage certainly adds to this. We will be presenting our annual awards on Thursday March 15 at 8:00pm during state tournament weekend.........

For the last 9 years the Varsity Club on Lane Ave. has been the site of this awards ceremony........We have been asked by the proprietors of the VC if we could possibly find another venue for this year.........you see, last year we had some very unhappy South Euclid Regina fans who took umbrage with our D3 poll champion :rolleyes: .......so we have made arrangments with the management staff at Roosters on Olentangy River Road to have it done there.....we are
hoping that this is just a 1 year thing, but since Lake Ridge Academy will probably be eligible next year, we are holding off on that announcement until later........

I can't begin to tell you how much fun the Flound and I have in doing these rankings and I'm sorry that we've missed a few this year.......unlike the AP pollsters who infrequently actually watch the teams that they are ranking, we attempt to get out a couple of times each week and get a better idea on
what teams are capable of producing.........this leaves precious little time to do everything else that must be done during the week.........now that I am semi-retired (more like retired, rehired) I hope to be able to devout even more time in making the RC an even more enjoyable place to visit and somewhere where you can get the "inside scoop" on more than who the next coach of a certain team is going to be, or what is some of the inner-workings at School A............

I've carried on long enough, and again I want to convey my sincerest thanks to everyone who follows these rankings..........we are always available and willing to answer any questions about how we arrive at these and look forward to your continued comments............MY POLL Champions of the 2011-12 season are........

D1 Reynoldsburg
D2 Hathaway Brown
D3 Anna
D4 Ottoville

Statewide
Division I

Reynoldsburg
Twinsburg
Kettering Fairmont
Pickerington North
Canton McKinley
Toledo Notre Dame
Springboro
Sylvania Northview
Midpark
Cincinnati Princeton

Division II

Hathaway Brown
Chaminade Julienne
Dayton Carroll
Toledo Rogers
Clyde
Akron Hoban
Lima Bath
Millersburg W. Holmes
Mentor Lake Catholic
Beloit West Branch

Division III

Anna
Liberty Benton
Columbus Africentric
Oak Hill
Archbold
Beverly Fort Frye
Middletown Madison
Hamilton Badin
Proctorville Fairland

Division IV

Ottoville
Newark Catholic
Mansfield St. Peter
Arlington
Waterford
Zanesville Rosecrans
Madison Tri Village
Marion Local
Fort Recovery
Minster

NW Ohio D I Top 10
Tolede Notre Dame
Sylvania Northview
Toledo Central Catholic
Toledo Waite
Perrysburg
Lima Senior
Sylvania Southview
Toledo St. Ursula
Findlay
Anthony Wayne

NW Ohio D2
Toledo Rogers
Clyde
Lima Bath
Lima Shawnee
Sandusky Perkins
Bellevue
Celina
Shelby
Willard
Wapakoneta

NW Ohio D3
Anna
Liberty Benton
Archbold
Versailles
Evergreen
Millbury Lake
Margaretta
Coldwater
St. Henry
LIma Central Catholic

NW Ohio D4
Ottoville
Mansfield St. Pete
Arlington
Marion Local
Minster
Miller City
Arcadia
New Riegel
Delphos Jefferson
Delphos St. Johns
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#2 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

It's hard to believe that this will be our final rankings of the season........we are approaching tournament time which is definitely the wildest time of the season for high school sports, plus the fact that spring is fast approaching.....it has been another fun year and I have certainly enjoyed the weekly banter from our fans.....it does seem that we have lost one of our staunchest critics......that being Mr. Ricky Roe who I noticed has not posted for awhile......but, that doesn't mean he is not reading our polls.....I am sure that if Midpark advances rather far into the tournament that Ricky will be back in full force loading up our final polls thread with numerous posts......something to the effect of..."I told you so"......by the way, Rocketman and Flounder hear very little of that kind of talk and I suspect that will be the norm again as we approach the end of the season with a fine finished product........as you all know by now......Rocketman and Flounder do put out a pretty impressive poll of each division in Ohio..... as Rocketman explained in his final polls edition.......we have a unique formula which has paid huge dividends for us and our readers.....we are not afraid to take the heat because in the end, our results usually stand above the other guys......although, I must admit that the flow of cash cards has dropped substantially, much to our chagrin.......that will not diminish the fact that we will still give our readers a finished product that they can trust in......oh, did I ever mention that Rocketman and Flounder Know Girls High School Basketball......just a little something we thought up......kind of a trademark of ours....this is always the best time of the season and I certainly hope that everyone enjoys just what the tournament atmosphere provides........

Not many changes in my polls........just subtle moves from teams who have been there most of the season.......also, this could be a first for our polls since we started posting them on the net......Rocketman and Flounder actually agree on our 4 mythical division champions for the 2011-2012 basketball season.......

D1.....Reynoldsburg
D2.....Hathaway Brown
D3.....Anna
D4.....Ottoville

I might also mention that Ottoville is being threatened by Arlington, who has really impressed as the season rolled on. Well enough of the banter and time for my final polls of the season......again, and as always we appreciate any and all replies from our faithful readers expressing their views and opinions.......it may be to late to change our minds, but we certainly look forward to hearing from you.....your replies are what makes these polls.......you won't hear the AP boys say that.....hope to see you at Roosters on March 15!!!!!!!!

D 1

Reynoldsburg
Twinsburg
Pickerington North
Columbus Northland
Kettering Fairmont
Cincy Princeton
Springboro
Sycamore
Zanesville
Midpark
Others: Canton McKinley, Sylvania N'view, Wadsworth, Uniontown Lake, Olentangy Orange

D 2

Hathaway Brown
Dayton Carroll
Chaminade Julienne
Akron Hoban
Akron Manchester
Lima Bath
Clyde
Toledo Rogers
Shelby
Ravenna
Others: Belloit W Branch, Bellevue, Clinton Massie, W. Holmes, Kettering Alter

D 3

Anna
Smithville
Middletown Madison
Orrville
Africentric
Archbold
Liberty Benton
Hamilton Badin
Proctorville Fairland.......best kept secret of the season
Oak Hill
Others: Georgetown, Miami East, Fort Frye, Y'town Ursuline, Elyria Catholic

D 4

Ottoville
Newark Catholic
Arlington
Marion Local
Waterford
Zanesville Rosencrans
Mansfield St Peter's
Madison Tri Village
Minster
Shadyside
Others: Lowelville, Reedsville Eastern, Fort Recovery, New Knoxville, Delphos St John's

Northwest Ohio

D 1

Sylvania N'view
Toledo Notre Dame
Toledo Central Catholic
Perrysburg
Findlay

D 2

Lima Bath
Clyde
Toledo Rogers
Shelby
Bellevue

D 3

Anna
Archbold
Liberty Benton
St Henry
Lima Central Catholic

D 4

Ottoville
Arlington
Marion Local
Mansfield St Peter's
Minster

#3 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks to RM and Flounder for providing a great forum where you clearly do your homework on girls basketball. While this year is very different in many ways than last year, I do believe there will be some GREAT basketball games played once teams get into Districts. DSJ pushes Ottoville last week demonstrating what is great about high school athletics - on a single given night...anything can happen in high school basketball.

Here's to an exciting tourney run for your team, regardless of who it is. I know us Red Devils in Atown are enjoying some great success right now in both girls and boys, but take nothing for granted heading into the tourney season. We all know it takes great skill, great coaching, great kids AND a lot of good FORTUNE to move on once you get into the tourney.

Best of luck to all and enjoy the best time of the year...(next to opening day in MLB!).
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#4 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Postie,
it has been our pleasure to present these rankings to our loyal followers............I hope that the A team's season ends with you finally enjoying the weekend at the girls state
tournament.........if that happens, make sure you look us up..........first one's on us......RM

#5 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostRocketman, on 19 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Postie,
it has been our pleasure to present these rankings to our loyal followers............I hope that the A team's season ends with you finally enjoying the weekend at the girls state
tournament.........if that happens, make sure you look us up..........first one's on us......RM

Sounds like a plan RM. IF Atown made it to state, the "first" will be one of many....believe me....sure hope to take you up on that offer...

Let the fun begin.
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#6 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Member No.: 9154

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Flounder, Rocketman,

I don't think you have to worry about hearing from Ricky Ticky. I see they will be meeting Twinsburg in the regional. Bad news for Midpark. That brings me to an interesting question. What makes both you guys pick Reynoldsburg over Twinsburg for the State title? I haven't seen either one play so I can't comment on it but evidently you guys have heard or seen something.

Edited by Snip, 20 February 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#7 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Snip.........

These two teams are nip and tuck for the no. 1 slot......if they meet in the tourney it will be a very good game......Reynoldsburg is undefeated I believe and actually Twinsburg is also undefeated in Ohio......they have 3 losses to out of state teams!!!!!

#8 Guest_Landess_*

• Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Reynoldsburg won't make it out of that regional.

#9 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostLandess, on 20 February 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

Reynoldsburg won't make it out of that regional.

Who is going to beat them!!!!!!

#10 Guest_Landess_*

• Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

Lake Or Mckinley.

#11 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think you are right Landess......McKinley may be over that dip in the road they hit a while back....I am really surprised they lost as many as they did!!!!!!!

#12 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

On a bright note.....I see that Dave Hoffman...longtime Delphos Jefferson coach notched his 400th win last evening,,,,congrats go out to Coach Hoffman.....who by the way is a outstanding individual!!!!!

#13 wadschick

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Member No.: 5508

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostLandess, on 22 February 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Lake Or Mckinley.

It won't be lake they got beat by Green, big upset

#14 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Landess Over the years Has had a habit of doing this
As you can clearly see, I did not have Lake ever in my top 10

#15 Guest_Landess_*

• Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

What did I do ????? Lake and Mckinley were the 2 best teams in that district, whichever team comes out of that district will have a great shot at beating Reynoldsburg. Lake has a great season and some big wins. You can sit and act like you did something by not having them in your top 10 but it has been obvious for years that you set your polls up so that teams last longer.

You can put Wadsworth and Toledo notre dame in your top 5 because one of them have to come out of the Northwest. Lake was going to get knocked out in the round of 16 almost no matter what. The SW region has a lot of teams worthy of the top 10 but they won't make it because they play eachother too. You won't put them all in the top 10 because it may look bad in your poll.

Anyone could tell you before the season starts who the contenders are in each division. It is not brain science. Give Lake some credit Brotha man. They won their league and beat Hoover twice and Mckinley.

#16 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostRocketman, on 24 February 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Landess Over the years Has had a habit of doing this
As you can clearly see, I did not have Lake ever in my top 10

Rocketman......

Neither did I......heck, I never even considered them!!!!!!

#17 Guest_Landess_*

• Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

So if a team goes 19-1 and beats some very good teams, why don't they get ranked?

#18 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

I think I had this discussion with Ricky Roe.......I also told him straight up that Midpark would get handled by Hathaway Brown.....and they did......funny thing about that is that 'Wadschick' was brave enough to forecast a easy win by Midpark over HB.....'open mouth, insert foot'....lmao.....

It isn't so much that a team goes 19-1....it's schedule, tradition, experience, and just many factors......and Landess...you say it is easy to predict teams advancing to state.....I don't think so......and another thing....Rocketman and Flounder are right on the vast majority of time.......I do appreciate the fact that you do help us somewhat as we both know your love of girls basketball......and you also are pretty right on quite a bit......hey, we know you have a vast knowledge of the game and follow quite a few games during the season.......and we do respect that!!!!!!

#19 Guest_Landess_*

• Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

I haven't seen much.

#20 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Rocketman & Flounder-
So are you saying if the top 2 teams in the state were located in the same district (or maybe even sectional...quite possible some years), that you wouldn't even rank the 2nd best school in your top ten...since they wouldn't advance very far in the tournament??
It seems like you are using this excuse when people ask you about certain teams that go 19-1, for example.

It could be possible to throw a "top 10" together by just picking what you consider the best teams out of each region and then at the end of the year, when most of those "top 10" were regional participants, your ranking would look pretty good. It isn't really a true measure of who the BEST teams really are, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users