Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostTiGgEr3, on 27 May 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

This guy too:

Posted Image
Absolutely true, 100%. HOWEVER, for each guy like this, there are thousands and thousands who start "living the dream" or should I say "chasing" the dream, bouncing from school to school in search of football playing time. Most flush out of the system with little to no further education. Most, I'll say 99.8% of D3 kids should be there for academics first, and any sports is just icing on the cake.

#22 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postcaldwell, on 29 May 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

Div-3 is pay to play. The assistant coaches recruit everybody and anybody, just to see who's parents are willing to pay the big bucks in order to extend their kids "Glory Days" by four years.

View Postcameroncrazie90, on 18 May 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

This is easily one of the most rude topics ever!!! Be happy for the kid who worked hard and is going to play college ball. It's an honor no matter where!! And a step above those who were too lazy to ever try.
Partially true cameron, I think the point of the post is holding "press conferences" for these "announcements" and "signings". There is no such thing at D3. You just enroll like everyone else. A kid who's enrolled in school can show up on the first day of practice and be on the football team (after their physical and other paperwork). Mostly and ego trip for the school, parents and kid.

#23 jawbreaker

All State

• Members
  • 587 posts

Member No.: 1996

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 29 May 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Absolutely true, 100%. HOWEVER, for each guy like this, there are thousands and thousands who start "living the dream" or should I say "chasing" the dream, bouncing from school to school in search of football playing time. Most flush out of the system with little to no further education. Most, I'll say 99.8% of D3 kids should be there for academics first, and any sports is just icing on the cake.

I would venture to guess, from what I have seen in the past, the drop out rate is the same for student athletes as it is for regular students. I would also say there are few students going from school to school "chasing" the dream. Most of the people I knew just stopped playing and focused on school or at least college life.

On a side note, I understand this is the football forum but since we are having a D3 converstation.....It is nice to see that Austin Blaski (Pandora) is having another fine year at Marietta. Owning a 0.87 ERA, 112 SO, and #372 on Baseball America's prospect list. They are still alive in the D3 college WS.

#24 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have nothing against kids going to play sports at D-3 schools. It is their choice. To the D-3 schools it is all about getting another kid to pay the tuition. My neighbor signed at a D-3 school to play football as a wide receiver. He got there and there were 15 other freshman wide receivers. Guess what.... Only 2 or 3 played and the rest still paid the tuition. Again, if someone wants to play sports at a D-3 school, and pay an extra $20,000 per for that privelege, go for it. Just go in with your eyes wide open, because reality will set in soon. It is about the same as kids who borrow $20,000 per year to go to a private school, and want to blame someone else for all their debt when they get out and their $20,000 per yr. job as a social worker isn't enought to make the payments.

#25 paynepanthers

All State

• Members
  • 589 posts

Member No.: 3270

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

Any "signing" by an NCAA DIII student-athlete is purely a feel good moment for the student, their family and maybe the coach or high school. In fact many DIII institutions will instruct future student-athletes to not participate in such ceremonies or at least to be very careful to not call them "signing" activities. Some of the most highly acclaimed academic institutions in the country are NCAA DIII institutions. The Ivy League does not offer athletic based aid but they do participate as NCAA DI members (FCS Football). Leagues like the UAA (Case Western, Carnegie Mellon, Chicago, Washington University-St. Louis, Emory, Rochester, NYU and Brandeis) are among the nation's elite research institutions and are all NCAA DIII as are MIT and Cal Tech (Big Bang Theory Fans). Many schools in the NCAC (Wooster, Hiram, Kenyon, Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, Wabash, Depauw, Oberlin, Allegheny and Wittenberg) are among the nation' elite liberal arts institutions and are all NCAA DIII. If a student is accepted into one these institutions, or one of many others, and chooses to participate in sports good for them. Having been to NCAA DIII championship events, the athletes, parents, coaches and institutions are rightfully very proud of their student-athletes and do not hesitate to promote their achievements. Next April the NCAA DIII, NCAA DII and NCAA DI Men's basketball championships will all be held, on the same weekend, in Atlanta, Georgia to honor the 75th Anniversary of the basketball championship.

Edited by paynepanthers, 29 May 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#26 jawbreaker

All State

• Members
  • 587 posts

Member No.: 1996

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 29 May 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

I have nothing against kids going to play sports at D-3 schools. It is their choice. To the D-3 schools it is all about getting another kid to pay the tuition. My neighbor signed at a D-3 school to play football as a wide receiver. He got there and there were 15 other freshman wide receivers. Guess what.... Only 2 or 3 played and the rest still paid the tuition. Again, if someone wants to play sports at a D-3 school, and pay an extra $20,000 per for that privelege, go for it. Just go in with your eyes wide open, because reality will set in soon. It is about the same as kids who borrow $20,000 per year to go to a private school, and want to blame someone else for all their debt when they get out and their $20,000 per yr. job as a social worker isn't enought to make the payments.

How about D1 and D2 schools, do they not care about money? Guess what, all schools care about money. It isn't just a D3 thing.

Extra $20,000? Compared to what?

#27 Beasty

All League

• Members
  • 24 posts

Member No.: 4364

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

This topic is ridiculous...playing a sport in a Div III school is a major accomplishment. Read the papers, watch the news, look at all of the shootings, beatings, gangs, kids not even graduating from high school. All kids no matter what Div they are playing in has gotten there through blood, sweat, and tears. Any child who dares to play in August with 95+ degree weather, full pads on & NEVER gives up, are the ones who should be rewarded. To blldog: "you are playing Div III ball because you love the game, and nothing more" You're wrong, there is more to it. My child had athletic scholarship offers from Div II schools. This is why he chose to go to a Div III school; 1. Community based..the college gives back to this community. Next time, look on the back of Basketball, Baseball, Football, even Autism players T-shirts...this college donated money for your cause! Also, they make all of their athletes get involved and do community work. 2. Alumni: This college has wonderful, major successful Alumni who donate money to have new buildings constructed, new uniforms, and are very involved with the school. I'm ashamed of our local news for not picking up on these Div III athletes staying in their community. These graduates, like many Alumni, may stay in the surrounding area & keep money flowing. Yes, this local college has many, many Alumni who are business owners-Millions of dollars, in which I know, have created jobs for you, your children, or grand-kids to put food on your table. Since you want to talk about money, let me give it to you from someone who knows first hand. Div III schools do cost 20,000 more, but after looking at the "athletic" scholarships versus "educational" scholarship this Div III college provides.....it only cost my family 3,000 more a year! That 3,000 more is going to go for: GASP! A dorm with air-conditioning, elevator, and carpet in his room, a full-time chef in the dining hall, full kitchen on every floor...wow I guess the only thing my wife n I can't bring to him is our "maid!" *sarcasm* To the poster who said we will be blaming you for his debt..don't think so. He isn't at risk..honor roll student while playing two sports, and a full-time job, pretty sure he will be successful in college and like most of the Alumni before him, he will succeed w/out blaming you for his debt!!! And last but not least...he loves to play the sport! Is it anyones business that he wants to play "four more glory years?" He worked hard to achieve this goal and NEVER gave up, he earned the right to play wherever he desires! Oh, *Gasp!* He signed a letter of intent!!! He doesn't need your support he gets most of it at home and from the college he will be attending! So to the original poster,,,,,No, We Can't Stop!

#28 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

There will never be a ciear winner in this debate. The number signing on the news is a product of media wanting SOME stories and refusing to say no to ones they really don't desire. Add schools either wanting to promote their athletes and/or not wishing to say there is a difference in the type of "signings" and the result is our current topic. If you look up the NCAA sports rules, there are signing dates for D 1 basketball and football [for example]. These athletes will get a full ride. As far as I know, the other sports in D 1 most often or not give money, but not full rides. Fair???? Money talks. So my point is that even the kid playing baseball at a D 1 school may also be paying a good sum of money to play. THEREFORE, I for one think we can just support all that get recognized and respect their efforts because they have not got our attention in other media ways. DO I REALLY NEED TO LIST SOME LOCAL EXAMPLES??????

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#29 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostBeasty, on 30 May 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

This topic is ridiculous...playing a sport in a Div III school is a major accomplishment. Read the papers, watch the news, look at all of the shootings, beatings, gangs, kids not even graduating from high school. All kids no matter what Div they are playing in has gotten there through blood, sweat, and tears. Any child who dares to play in August with 95+ degree weather, full pads on & NEVER gives up, are the ones who should be rewarded. To blldog: "you are playing Div III ball because you love the game, and nothing more" You're wrong, there is more to it. My child had athletic scholarship offers from Div II schools. This is why he chose to go to a Div III school; 1. Community based..the college gives back to this community. Next time, look on the back of Basketball, Baseball, Football, even Autism players T-shirts...this college donated money for your cause! Also, they make all of their athletes get involved and do community work. 2. Alumni: This college has wonderful, major successful Alumni who donate money to have new buildings constructed, new uniforms, and are very involved with the school. I'm ashamed of our local news for not picking up on these Div III athletes staying in their community. These graduates, like many Alumni, may stay in the surrounding area & keep money flowing. Yes, this local college has many, many Alumni who are business owners-Millions of dollars, in which I know, have created jobs for you, your children, or grand-kids to put food on your table. Since you want to talk about money, let me give it to you from someone who knows first hand. Div III schools do cost 20,000 more, but after looking at the "athletic" scholarships versus "educational" scholarship this Div III college provides.....it only cost my family 3,000 more a year! That 3,000 more is going to go for: GASP! A dorm with air-conditioning, elevator, and carpet in his room, a full-time chef in the dining hall, full kitchen on every floor...wow I guess the only thing my wife n I can't bring to him is our "maid!" *sarcasm* To the poster who said we will be blaming you for his debt..don't think so. He isn't at risk..honor roll student while playing two sports, and a full-time job, pretty sure he will be successful in college and like most of the Alumni before him, he will succeed w/out blaming you for his debt!!! And last but not least...he loves to play the sport! Is it anyones business that he wants to play "four more glory years?" He worked hard to achieve this goal and NEVER gave up, he earned the right to play wherever he desires! Oh, *Gasp!* He signed a letter of intent!!! He doesn't need your support he gets most of it at home and from the college he will be attending! So to the original poster,,,,,No, We Can't Stop!
I don't think there was any disrespect shown to D3 athletes. I think it's just more of an educational piece on how college sports works. Many people out there think that all colleges offer athletic scholarships, and many of our local kids "sign" letters of intent. That's simply not true.

- D1 and D2 schools are only allowed to offer athletic scholarships, and they are limited in number. Many schools offer partial scholarships based on spreading out the number of kids they can offer. Many non-revenue sports offer very little, even at D1 and D2 levles.
- There is NO athletic scholarships at the D3 or NAIA level. Period.
- Fact, many kids just don't want to play sports anymore after high school. It's a difficult decision, but you're paying your own way at the D-3 and NAIA level, so you'd better be all in.
-you're correct, LimaJock, much of this is just promotion of the kid, coaches or schools for their athletes.

#30 #Sand

All District

• Members
  • 424 posts

Member No.: 2115

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 13 June 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

- There is NO athletic scholarships at the D3 or NAIA level. Period.

Actually for NAIA your statement is not correct. There are scholarships at NAIA schools that wish to give them. I think football has a maximum of 24 full finacial aid scholarships.

#31 DC/MS

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,304 posts

Member No.: 1707

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

somebody doesn't know totally what they speak of.......................
awjeez.jpgawjeez.jpg

#32 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

That's me on most subjects. But since I have a degree in Bull*******ative Wordsmithery I get by.

#33 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

I can't believe the censor thingie recognized that in the middle of the word. How do it know?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users