Winning Waynesfield-Goshen Coach Patton steps down mid-season, with star player daughter following suit...

66 replies to this topic

#1 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

What's going on here?????
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#2 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

We were suppost to play them tomorrow....
Mr B

#3 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Heard a few bits and pieces on Vince Koza 93.1 this afternoon............Coach Patton's daughter is a good player, and a freshman, could go somewhere else the next few years.........but would like to hear the whole story.

#4 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Seems there was quite a bit of discontent within the program on all levels, top to bottom, from players through admin with decisions that had to be made.

Will be interesting to see where roads lead for the players that quit. *whistling smiley*
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#5 MCguy

All State

• Members
  • 909 posts

Member No.: 103

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

I wasn't impressed with him when they played at Miller City. Hearing that two girls quit this week did not surprise me at all. I don't have a problem with coaches yelling at their players with constructive criticism, but he went beyond that to the point where I could not see how those girls could have any fun playing for him. He was not encouraging at all, at least that game.

How many years was he the head coach?

#6 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

I have known Ted for many years. His style of coaching is direct and to the point. I can see how it would rub the modern player the wrong way.

Slice, what is "Whistling Smiley?"

#7 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Now, I heard that the 2 girls that quit did no agree with the coach's philosophy and instead of remaining on the team, they decided to quit......just another typical day in the life of today's athlete.......daughter probably decided to follow father's footsteps and also left.....I am sure she will hookup elsewhere........man......even little ol WG has its problems with todays aflete!!!!!!!!

#8 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I will be back sometime after lunch with more news on this situation..........I am meeting with someone close to the WG program and I hope to be able to fill everyone in on what transpired and what will become of this........of course, you heard it here first.... :coffee:
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#9 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

View Postflounder, on 18 January 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Now, I heard that the 2 girls that quit did no agree with the coach's philosophy and instead of remaining on the team, they decided to quit......just another typical day in the life of today's athlete.......daughter probably decided to follow father's footsteps and also left.....I am sure she will hookup elsewhere........man......even little ol WG has its problems with todays aflete!!!!!!!!

So a couple of girls quit, so the adult and leader in this sets a fine example by trying to make the best of a bad situation :rolleyes:................quitting. What about the rest of the girls who want to continue the season?

#10 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Parents upset......administration gave ultimatum, quit or be fired....very fluid situation right now.

#11 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Anyone who puts blame on the players for quitting has not seen Patton coach. Some call it yelling but his actions towards players went beyond the line. This situation was a long time coming.

#12 Blue N Gold

All League

• Members
  • 33 posts

Member No.: 9266

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Being from Waynesfield I have been around this for many years, I currently have no ties to this program. Record wise coach Patton did a very good job, he sometimes forgets he is coaching high school girls. If I had a daughter on a team and the coach was belittling them because of their weight or by calling them f'ing morons, I would not hesitate to pull my daughter off the team. His daughters are great basketball players there is no doubt about that, but he is not just coaching them.

#13 MCguy

All State

• Members
  • 909 posts

Member No.: 103

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

cameroncrazie90: "Anyone who puts blame on the players for quitting has not seen Patton coach. Some call it yelling but his actions towards players went beyond the line. This situation was a long time coming."

Agreed.
In most situations now I disagree with kids quitting, but not this one. If it isn't any fun and you are basically ridiculed by your coach, what point is there to continue the suffering? If this is a bad experience for them, do you really think they need to remember this year that way for the rest of their life?

Edited by MCguy, 20 January 2014 - 03:18 AM.

#14 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

These situations are always two sided. Have seen the WG program as parent of an opposing team and he's a screamer AND, he's always, at least recently, had a daughter on the team that was the focal point of the team. It's always very, very difficult for coaches to have kids on their teams and this is exactly why. The coach has to separate them self from the situation, they have to understand how the kids, parents and community view this. Many times it works, many times it does not. Sadly, WG is losing an excellent coach, a guy who cares about girls sports and the program, but you have to have a standard of conduct that the team, school board, administrators and community can live with.

#15 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

One of the ex-players is now enrolled at Wapak and the parents are petitioning the OHSAA for her to be eligible immediately......this would open up a huge can of worms if allowed to happen.....

another one Is also transferring.........

#16 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostRocketman, on 20 January 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

One of the ex-players is now enrolled at Wapak and the parents are petitioning the OHSAA for her to be eligible immediately......this would open up a huge can of worms if allowed to happen.....

another one Is also transferring.........
This will never happen. As you say, this would open the floodgates for kids moving from school to school, in season. AKA free agency in pro sports. And don't you think many wouldn't do the same thing.

#17 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

Waynefield is a public school....so is Wapak. No way the OHSAA allows this transfer to happen.....now if both schools decide to put St. In front of their name......well......

#18 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Last I checked, WG was 9-4 and leading their league with a 3-1 record. What happened?

#19 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

View Postcharliesheen, on 20 January 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

Waynefield is a public school....so is Wapak. No way the OHSAA allows this transfer to happen.....now if both schools decide to put St. In front of their name......well......

St. Henry and St. Marys are public schools, too. :) Rules are the same for both public and private.

#20 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

There was just an article in Dayton Daily News about how many transfers petition the state. Most get turned down-and some with pretty good reasons still get turned down. "Because they didn't like the coach" probably won't sway the committee.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users