71 replies to this topic

#21 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostMysterio, on 28 February 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Which is exactly why voting for league awards is nonsense to me. Success to me can have a HUGE part of how voting should be done. If a team ran the table all season long and dominated the league I would say majority of the league awards would go to that team. Sometimes individual stats can be deceiving though. You could have a girl playing on a 7-13 team that is averaging 15 points a game, which looks good on paper, but does it look better than a girl averaging 10 points a game playing on a 20-0 team? Some cases you just simply have 5 starters, sometimes even 1 coming off the bench, that are just better than the rest of the league. I think you could make a strong case about that this year in the PCL. Everyone can make their own argument as to who deserves what award. But in the end sometimes the better ones just simply don't get what they deserve.
You would hope that the coach's could make their decisions on league players based on the impact that kid has on their team. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't. The kids that really get left out are the ones who are the support players on great teams. They many times are the difference because they understand their role and don't take poor shots, try to do things they are not capable of or can't play defense. On bad teams, those kids tend to take shots, not defend and cause trouble.

#22 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 29 February 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

You would hope that the coach's could make their decisions on league players based on the impact that kid has on their team. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't. The kids that really get left out are the ones who are the support players on great teams. They many times are the difference because they understand their role and don't take poor shots, try to do things they are not capable of or can't play defense. On bad teams, those kids tend to take shots, not defend and cause trouble.

So very true. And them support players coming off the bench could probably start for any of the other teams. Well at least most of them perhaps. But the individual awards I don't get too crazy about because I'm sure the league title is more important and what you do in tournament as well.
No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#23 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

View Postmaddog, on 29 February 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

Hey Von, I was at the Crestview vs. DJ game and there did not seem to be a stall going on. The teams were just that bad. Turnovers and poor ball handling ended in a 6-2 first quarterback score. Some of the worst high school girls basketball I have ever seen for the entire game and then you had the debacle of a game for DSJ that followed. Ottoville plays name the score if they keep the best players in for the majority of the time vs DJ.

You should have had to sit thru Kalida vs grove....50 combined turnovers.

Why was the dsj game a debacle?
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#24 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

DJ's biggest issue is just sheer scoring output. It's down from a year ago. Defensively, they are fine. Even so, that's why they play the game...we shall see tomorrow.

#25 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Member No.: 9154

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

View Postjeffcat-bucki, on 29 February 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

DJ's biggest issue is just sheer scoring output. It's down from a year ago. Defensively, they are fine. Even so, that's why they play the game...we shall see tomorrow.

Jack up those 3's baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's how upsets are made. If the other defense allows it. :no:

#26 doslobos

All District

• Members
  • 103 posts

Member No.: 9220

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

Ottoville is the heavy favorite here, with Jefferson and Spncerville being just behind those two, with Kalida only having the ability to beat Spencerville out of the 3.

Not much needs to be said about Ottoville. They're undefeated, #1 in the state, and have a 6'2'' post player that is deadly inside of 15'. She's even adept at putting the ball on the floor and attacking the rim. They're not unbeateable, as DSJ showed a few weeks ago, but it's going to take 4 great quarters and a little luck to knock them off.

Jefferson has two good guards, which is crucial in girls basketball, but they don't have much talent outside of that. They're very well coached, though, so they'll always be in games. In the Crestview game, for instance, I don't think they played that poorly. Their shots weren't falling and their post missed a bunch of bunnies, but their defense was off the charts. Boggs and Lewis give them at least a puncher's chance to beat any team, including Ottoville.

Spencerville is an upstart program. They were awful just as recent as a few years ago, but they've really improved the last couple of seasons. This season they were up 3, down 2, and down 2 in the last two minutes against Jefferson, Crestview, and LCC respectively (the top 3 teams in the NWC). They were up the entire game against Kalida until the last few minutes. They played 8 quarters against DSJ this year, and the score of the last 7 of them was 84-82 Spencerville. They lost all of those games, with the lone exception being last Saturday against DSJ. There's something to be said about knowing how to win, and those girls might have figured that out last weekend.

Kalid is a solid team as well. They love to pressure the ball and throw various defenses at their opponents. I've only seen them play a few times this year, but from what I could tell they had a few girls who could shoot the 3 and penetrate. If a girl can do both of those things, she's got the potential to be pretty dangerous.

#27 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostMysterio, on 29 February 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

So very true. And them support players coming off the bench could probably start for any of the other teams. Well at least most of them perhaps. But the individual awards I don't get too crazy about because I'm sure the league title is more important and what you do in tournament as well.
You are correct, football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, soccer, softball are all team games, yet you try to individualize them with POY and all league teams. I think it's got to be difficult for some coaches to deal with this now as these teams may be in the tournament, and now some important players on these teams are feeling slighted. I'd almost say wait until the season's over before announcing any of these awards.

#28 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Spencerville will beat Kalida and O'town will win.....O'town moves on to regionals where they will have a great test against Arlinton......I called it in November....Ottoville vs Arlington with a state berth on the line!!!!!

#29 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

split session out there in Lima tonight?

#30 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostEmerson, on 01 March 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

split session out there in Lima tonight?

I don't think so

#31 doslobos

All District

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yes, it is a split session.

#32 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Postdoslobos, on 01 March 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Yes, it is a split session.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure but I woulda found out eventually

#33 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

I see that rocketcorner is on the pass list, who is coming out here from there?
Henry Ford

#34 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I believe it is FortFan or Skilliter..........if not, who knows :unsure:
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#35 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Was just curious. Got here and saw them on the pass list right underneath us.
Henry Ford

#36 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostTiGgEr3, on 01 March 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Was just curious. Got here and saw them on the pass list right underneath us.
The Big Green better get rolling, I knew this was going to be a tough game. 16-13 BG

#37 BlueJay

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,786 posts

Member No.: 4123

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

It's 18-15 Ottoville at the half, von :)

'97, '98, '99, '05, '08, '10 Division VI State Champions

#38 maddog

All State

• Members
  • 755 posts

Member No.: 3291

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostTiGgEr3, on 29 February 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

You should have had to sit thru Kalida vs grove....50 combined turnovers.

Why was the dsj game a debacle?

DSJ shot 12-52 missing at least 10 putback layups. Spencerville only had 28 shots in their victory. Pretty hard to imagine having 24 more shots than the opponent and losing.

#39 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

View Postmaddog, on 01 March 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

DSJ shot 12-52 missing at least 10 putback layups. Spencerville only had 28 shots in their victory. Pretty hard to imagine having 24 more shots than the opponent and losing.
I heard on the radio, 12 of 42.

#40 doslobos

All District

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

View Postmaddog, on 01 March 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Those stats were reported, but entirely inaccurate. The shot differential was 10. When you consider Spencerville shot more FTs and had few offensive rebounds, so the slight differential was to be expected. But the Spencerville defense was superb, not allowing DSJ anything close to an open shot in the paint.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users