Competitive balance seems to be working ....

76 replies to this topic

#21 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

View PostRocketman, on 24 March 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Koza doesn’t make waves........if one of the “uppitys” tells him the Browns are gonna win the Super Bowl again this year, he’ll agree. If someone told him that Johnny Football was going to make us forget about any of the past 20 Cleveland QB’s, he’d say yes......

Does he promote high school athletics? A resounding yes....does he love CB’s from Kewpee?.....does a bear sheet in the woods?

This is all basically true.......without a doubt!!!!!

#22 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Competitive balance is absolutely not working. It just pushed some of the violators up one division. Did nothing to prevent what goes on at Africentric, Cornerstone, Deer Park. I am absolutely not racist, but facts are facts. Cornerstone's roster was 90% black and there student section was 99% white. Anyone who says those players are not at Cornerstone strickly for basketball are dillusional. Africentric should be D1 - period. Draw their team from a population area of over 700,000. Deer Park playing with 7 transfer players.

Edited by waterloowonder, 24 March 2018 - 06:59 PM.

#23 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 24 March 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Competitive balance is absolutely not working. It just pushed some of the violators up one division. Did nothing to prevent what goes on at Africentric, Cornerstone, Deer Park. I am absolutely not racist, but facts are facts. Cornerstone's roster was 90% black and there student section was 99% white. Anyone who says those players are not at Cornerstone strickly for basketball are dillusional. Africentric should be D1 - period. Draw their team from a population area of over 700,000. Deer Park playing with 7 transfer players.

Marion Local's win may actually hurt the chances of changes happening soon. I can see the OHSAA saying "well, Marion Local beat Cornerstone"....so what's the problem? They see what they want to see. The only hope is with these schools bringing essentially nobody to the games that maybe the OHSAA will $ee the lo$$ of $$$$$ and finally realize something may need to be done. Doubtful....but po$$ible

#24 dufus

All District

• Members
  • 106 posts

Member No.: 9633

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Amen!! So sad!

#25 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

View PostRocketman, on 24 March 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Bobbers,
Tell Todd Walker and Sweet Lou Settlemire how well that "competitive" balance is working ��

Koza doesn't make waves........if one of the "uppitys" tells him the Browns are gonna win the Super Bowl again this year, he'll agree. If someone told him that Johnny Football was going to make us forget about any of the past 20 Cleveland QB's, he'd say yes......

Does he promote high school athletics? A resounding yes....does he love CB's from Kewpee?.....does a bear sheet in the woods?

You're right, he's a jerk. Worthy of being mocked and ridiculed. I stand corrected.

#26 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

View PostBobby, on 24 March 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

You're right, he's a jerk. Worthy of being mocked and ridiculed. I stand corrected.

Well, that is taking it a bit too far. I didn't see anyone call Koz a jerk. Mocked and ridiculed maybe.......but mostly just good-natured ribbing. Vince Koza has contributed a lot to HS sports in this area and is an ambassador for limaland. That said.....his show on the radio is very formulaic and predictable, he has asked the same questions/ made the same observations/ commentary over the past several years dating back to when the radio show was Saturday mornings. Overall I give Vince a thumbs up for effort because his heart is in the right place.

#27 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 24 March 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

Well, that is taking it a bit too far. I didn't see anyone call Koz a jerk. Mocked and ridiculed maybe.......but mostly just good-natured ribbing. Vince Koza has contributed a lot to HS sports in this area and is an ambassador for limaland. That said.....his show on the radio is very formulaic and predictable, he has asked the same questions/ made the same observations/ commentary over the past several years dating back to when the radio show was Saturday mornings. Overall I give Vince a thumbs up for effort because his heart is in the right place.

With that I would agree. But certainly no need to mock and ridicule the man.

#28 Outspoken

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Member No.: 243

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

Koza is a good dude......anyone that can’t see that hasn’t truly met the guy!! Good person who has a passion for our area and for what he does.

#29 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:54 PM

So many critics and cynics, but so few solutions. Waterloo, Charlie, Rocketboy, et al, tell me exactly how you would change things, and let us poke holes in your theories.

My school took down a favored private school today, and if we hadn’t we would have been disappointed but wouldn’t have pointed fingers (at least I wouldn’t have). There is no constitutional right to win a state title. When I was a kid it was Columbus Wehrle, and now it’s Cornerstone, Afrocentric, etc. So what? Just compete,and let the chips fall where they may.

#30 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

View Postpaperboy, on 24 March 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

So many critics and cynics, but so few solutions. Waterloo, Charlie, Rocketboy, et al, tell me exactly how you would change things, and let us poke holes in your theories.

My school took down a favored private school today, and if we hadn’t we would have been disappointed but wouldn’t have pointed fingers (at least I wouldn’t have). There is no constitutional right to win a state title. When I was a kid it was Columbus Wehrle, and now it’s Cornerstone, Afrocentric, etc. So what? Just compete,and let the chips fall where they may.

White kids need to get better. Period.
I'm not sure taking away Africentric or Cornerstone is going to give us better basketball. Fact is, we saw some pretty *******ty play at state this year for multiple games. Kids need to work on their games more.

If you look at Indiana, the IHSAA does nothing to stop recruiting/transferring to my knowledge ... but the big difference is their top dogs want to play with each other against each other to get better. They go to the big schools, not the little ones to compete.

#31 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

We need more divisions.....say maybe 10.....these 10 divisions will be the good guy divisions.....then break down all the teams that recruit.....if you think they recruit, throw them in the division with the recruiters anyway and let them play......see how it goes for a season and then make adjustments.....this system should produce more champions and if those teams that recruit and still have a bitch......tell them to do a better job recruiting because you created this mess!!!!!!

#32 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

View PostFlightCrew, on 25 March 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

White kids need to get better. Period.
I'm not sure taking away Africentric or Cornerstone is going to give us better basketball. Fact is, we saw some pretty *******ty play at state this year for multiple games. Kids need to work on their games more.

If you look at Indiana, the IHSAA does nothing to stop recruiting/transferring to my knowledge ... but the big difference is their top dogs want to play with each other against each other to get better. They go to the big schools, not the little ones to compete.

I can't disagree that kids just need to get better. That's a real challenge in today's me first world. I don't think you can ever make enough rules to legislate a fair and equal system. It appears Indiana just gave up. High School sports in Ohio are on the decline for a lot of reasons. As you all can probably tell, I am pretty old school and get great enjoyment in watching small and big communities come together and rally around their teams. The current system that allows AAU All Star teams to join forces at small public and private schools is destroying the tournaments.

#33 dufus

All District

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

Wonder is a very wise man. Great insight in almost all of his posts. Really enjoy reading them!

#34 Big_Blue

All League

• Members
  • 34 posts

Member No.: 8952

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Anyone see the quote in The Dispatch from Deer Park's coach? Something to the effect of "to all the people who think we cheated, get over it".
I find that to be a very classy remark...

#35 veteranlefty

All District

• Members
  • 214 posts

Member No.: 9179

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

Simple solution.....make 3 divisions for public schools and 2 divisions for private schools. Split them evenly by enrollment and crown 5 state champs instead of 4. One more state champ, big deal. Apples v. apples and oranges v. oranges.

#36 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

^^^ So you're okay with Deer Park (a public school with allegedly 9 new transfers this past year) being in with the schools with homegrown kids?

#37 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

View Postpaperboy, on 26 March 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

^^^ So you're okay with Deer Park (a public school with allegedly 9 new transfers this past year) being in with the schools with homegrown kids?

Yes, cause it's typically an outlier and doesn't occur perennially like the private school machines.

#38 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Graham wrestling, Glenville football, and Africentric basketball are a few more that come immediately to mind. Then you should take into consideration the small private schools that aren't 'machines' (DSJ, Tiffin Calvert, Sidney Lehman, etc). Why stick them into a division with 'machines' like Mooney, Ursuline, etc?

#39 dufus

All District

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if some of the Administrators at these athletic factories had a little bit of integrity. No, asking way to much!

#40 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

View Postdufus, on 26 March 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be nice if some of the Administrators at these athletic factories had a little bit of integrity. No, asking way to much!

Why do you have a problem with a kid transferring?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users