21 replies to this topic

#21 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (DAWG_ALICIOUS @ Apr 6 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DG: I'll give you all of that. I truly will, and I have seen exactly what you are talking about. Heck, even I rub people the wrong way sometimes... if you can actually believe THAT!

But seriously, I think the biggest problem with people vs Lori is that people don't choose to understand the passion. They want their athlete to succeed, but they don't want them to get their feelings hurt while doing it. This discussion is so closely related to that thread from a month or so ago about why programs are "down" versus "up". Girls or boys, it doesn't matter. You talk about berating players, I could tell you some doozies that have come out of the mouths of legendary coaches from all over NW Ohio that would make you just roll your eyes in disbelief. The good players keep getting better, the others let it affect them. The good players tell their parents to "shut up", the rest of the players tell their parents to "speak up". It's as simple as that.

Do you think maybe the fact that Lori is a bit... "man-ly" for lack of a better word has something to do with it? I do. This was the same with a very successful coach from a number of years ago at Defiance... AND the one they currently have. It rubs people the wrong way and they become blind to the positives a coach brings. When this happens, it's like a snowball running down hill.

I'm NOT saying Lori is infallible because NO coach is. I can give you objectively formulated "negatives" of many coaches around the area both girls and boys. It just goes with the territory. Do I agree with coaches making these comments... NO. Does it cross the "line" sometimes... absolutely! But good coaches not only have to figure out ways to coach basketball to young players, they also have to know how to play the political bull crap game brought on by the parents. Some are better at it than others, and when a team is not winning it increases the difficulty of being successful.

Heck, ALL coaches at ALL levels need mentoring at ALL stages of their careers. The greatest coaches in the game have someone they look to for advice and counsel. Did you hear the comments Coach K from Duke made about Bob Night? This is heavy stuff. Do I need to ask if Bob Night has ever done anything wrong? And did you see the actions of Huggins? Do you think that changed the opinions of some of the Huggins-haters out there the way he cradled his injured player on a world stage with no regard to anyone's opinion about anything he's ever done wrong? I do. In the minds of parents and fans, I think all coaches are just one game or one season away from immortality... and only one play or one comment away from total obscurity. This is a shame!

I don't know how this thread got from Tim Pollitz to Lori Smith, but it did. Dawg to finish up, a lot of what you have said is absolutely true. After a couple of days of reflection on what you have said I offer up some final comments. Observing some of the final four and March madness on both of the mens and womens side, I noticed that the programs that kept advancing were coached by relatively low key or people that kept their emotions in check during the game. As these games are being televised all over the country, people that see these teams and coaches have a tendency to think that if that works at a higher level, it should filter down to the high school and lower levels also. I think that most people out there believe that everyone should have that fire in the belly that drives you to do the very best at all times and to convey that message to whatever or whoever you have to delegate that do if that is the case, ie coaching, supervision, plant manager etc. Nowadays though people respond a lot better to people that are able to keep those emotions from going to the fourfront and end up being a distraction in the public. Again some people from time to time need a kick in the pants, it just in this day and age you have to be careful how you distribute that need. We live in a society today that we as people say one thing that we want accomplished but we don't want the accept the consequences of reaching that goal. Personally I think that Lori Smith is a great X's and O's coach. And she coaches at a school that maybe has the most passionate fans in northwest ohio in terms of basketball. However that passion is dictated more towards the boys side and not the girls. Many fans at O-G have little regards for girls sports in general, not right but that a feeling that does exist at this school. And along with that little regard of girls sports or basketball, some of these so called fans have little regard for Lori Smith, as a coach and probably in some other areas that will remain unsaid. It is hypocrisy in its truest form, but it does exist. A lot of what has been said about her is not fair to her because she wants this program to succeed, however especially around Ottawa-Glandorf where people spread gossip like wildfire, actual events get blown out of proportion and become something that they are not. And I think that what has happened at O-G. I hope that the program gets back to its winning ways of a couple of years ago, but the girls have to work towards that. However it is going to be a rough row to hoe.

#22 DAWG_ALICIOUS

All State

• Members
  • 734 posts

Member No.: 5533

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Dakota Green @ Apr 8 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how this thread got from Tim Pollitz to Lori Smith, but it did. Dawg to finish up, a lot of what you have said is absolutely true. After a couple of days of reflection on what you have said I offer up some final comments. Observing some of the final four and March madness on both of the mens and womens side, I noticed that the programs that kept advancing were coached by relatively low key or people that kept their emotions in check...

I don't know either, DG. It's been a great discussion even though we are in the "wrong" topic thread. But hey, it doesn't matter if it's in the kitchen, the bedroom or the bathroom, a good discussion is worthy of the time spent!
You get to the NEXT level only by being successful at the CURRENT one. Play today's game first, enjoy the victory, then and only then, look ahead!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users