Reschedule games for HN.....

258 replies to this topic

#241 Casual_fan

All District

• Members
  • 108 posts

Member No.: 9259

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I saw they are at home against McComb and LB back to back weeks. I think starting week four or five.

#242 DirtyPBear76

All District

• Members
  • 291 posts

Member No.: 3912

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think HN travels to Lucus this week.

#243 WhiteBear20

All District

• Members
  • 101 posts

Member No.: 9354

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostDirtyPBear76, on 10 September 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

I think HN travels to Lucus this week.

Next 3 weeks are home. Indian Lake this week, McComb and Liberty Benton the two weeks to follow. Away back to back weeks at Lucas and Gibsonburg, not sure how the end of the schedule looks. Kenton, Ridgemont, and some Toledo Academy team that's a first year program and that is a varsity game. A majority of these games are also night games.

#244 cropduster

All District

• Members
  • 269 posts

Member No.: 2687

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

2 returning players asked last week if they could join the team. They were told no, unbelievable. I know what the naysayers will say but in this situation you take whoever whenever, plus wasn't that the idea of playing a jv schedule HN coaches and administration ? Kids safety and renew their interest, and then you tell kids nope.

#245 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

View Postcropduster, on 17 September 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

2 returning players asked last week if they could join the team. They were told no, unbelievable. I know what the naysayers will say but in this situation you take whoever whenever, plus wasn't that the idea of playing a jv schedule HN coaches and administration ? Kids safety and renew their interest, and then you tell kids nope.

I'm not in a position that the coaches/players are in, so I can't say given the situation. However, the season has started for them and you are either in or out. To stay out or quit, then skip all the conditioning and practice, then claim you want back on the team now seems...well...pretty low if you are a current player/coach that has already put in the work. With that being said, I don't know the specifics, so that's just me.

#246 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

If they are jr's or sr's I understand not letting them back on to the extent of ....They (HN) called and told these other schools that they needed to play jv only . Those schools agreed to a jv game and now your going to put two more Jr's or Sr's out on the field with their freshman and sophomores??? Gonna have to agree with that one if thats the case. Now if they are freshmen or sophs .. yeah .... think they should have.

But I also understand not letting them due to them not going thru all the conditioning and 2 a days also.

#247 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Kids and parents need to stop acting like sports are like video games and they can just start and quit when ever the want to and turn the power off!!
You knew when football starts or when basketball season starts and you know when they will be over. It's not like the seasons sneak up on everyone

Tired of crappy attitudes!

Off soapbox!

#248 DirtyPBear76

All District

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postcropduster, on 17 September 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Allowing kids to come out after all the practices and games has started is what led USV to their situation back in the early 90's. In 2002 most of the seniors didn't play football and that class had a lot of very good athletes in it. When asked why they didn't play they said that this happened to them when they were freshmen and the older kids that came out late ended up playing in front of them. It left a bad taste in their mouth.

You MUST set the precedent now. Just to let you know, this was not an administrative decision, nor was this decided by one coach. This was decided by the team.

P.S. - the interest level of those young men to play football must not of been to high if they didn't want to play back in August. I guess they have found out that even at the J.V. level the kids can have fun and play ball with their friends.

#249 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostDirtyPBear76, on 18 September 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Allowing kids to come out after all the practices and games has started is what led USV to their situation back in the early 90's. In 2002 most of the seniors didn't play football and that class had a lot of very good athletes in it. When asked why they didn't play they said that this happened to them when they were freshmen and the older kids that came out late ended up playing in front of them. It left a bad taste in their mouth.

You MUST set the precedent now. Just to let you know, this was not an administrative decision, nor was this decided by one coach. This was decided by the team.

P.S. - the interest level of those young men to play football must not of been to high if they didn't want to play back in August. I guess they have found out that even at the J.V. level the kids can have fun and play ball with their friends.

Great post.

#250 cropduster

All District

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostDirtyPBear76, on 18 September 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Not the story I got, but my source could have some bias, but does have a son involved the team had no say in ! it cuts both ways I've seen it work and not work it all comes down to people calling the shots.

#251 Buckshot

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Member No.: 6461

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Do not have insight as to what the real story is at hardin Northern But I do know that you cannot have the team decide who participates and and who doesn't Hopefully this is not the case and the Admin and coaching staff made the call right or wrong.

Edited by Buckshot, 18 September 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#252 DirtyPBear76

All District

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

No. Not all members of the team had input.

Again, set the precedent now and it will pay off in the long run.

#253 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'd rather see a football program die for a year, rather than provide an easy access pass for student athletes to join when they "feel like it". That sets a real great precedent for their future in life.

#254 cropduster

All District

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostDirtyPBear76, on 18 September 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

No. Not all members of the team had input.

Again, set the precedent now and it will pay off in the long run.

Yep after what I heard what a mess.

#255 Ericles

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 5556

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

I have to admit I'd have a real hard time allowing would-be returning players to "rejoin" the team after the season has already started. If they weren't on board from the beginning, when times were REALLY tough, then how committed can they be now? That would be a slap in the face to the kids that stuck it out.

I definitely agree with what DirtyPBear said. You have to establish your standards and let them determine the direction of the program. The commitment has to be an "all the time" thing, not just a "when they feel like it" thing, as jeffcat-bucki stated.

#256 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sadly, you have absolutely no leverage at this point. Sure you can stand your ground and not let kids play, but you just then go to battle with less people, and who wins there? I'd say allow them back, by rule you have what 10 or more practices before you can play anyway, set up some extra "punishment" if you want to, but in the long term scheme of things, you need every breathing soul out there that you can get. Hopefully, the jr. high is gaining some momentum and getting as many kids involved in football as possible, as they will be high schoolers in a year or two. THAT's where the focus needs to be now. The high school program is glorified intramurals.

#257 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

I can see some "look out blocks" being made, by a "committed" lineman for the "now I want to play" running back.

Don't tell me it wouldn't happen

#258 WhiteBear20

All District

• Members
  • 101 posts

Member No.: 9354

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

Cropduster, your posts always seem so bitter and you take every opportunity it seems to lash out on Hardin Northern administration and coaching staff. Take your negativity elsewhere. As you said you know what the naysayers will say, but basically your saying it's okay to join a football program that is in a rebuilding stage during week 3? What's that say for years to come? You don't need to attend weight training during the offseason, hell you don't even need to go through two a days or the first couple games. Go ahead and get a feel for how things are going and then join week 3 or 4 and enjoy. That should never be okay regardless the situation.

I can tell you that there is more to this story than just these two boys joining the team to play football, and that this decision was first brought up in a team meeting right away and addressed to the team and that the team vote was a no, and the coaching staff had the final decision which also was a no.

#259 cropduster

All District

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

I 'm flat out ashamed of what has transpired at that school the last 6-8 months and that's just people telling me you know what happened out there to so and so, or what happened the other day. Secondly you tell me then nobody should be held accountable for the squirt gun incident? That's deplorable, even criminal. heads shouldve rolled, Enuff said eh? I know the story. If it would've been handled properly we wouldn't be having this conversation about them wanting to join the football team, but that is the cultured that's been created at HN, and who creates the culture of the school? It's the principals, teachers, coaches, superintendents, students,and parents who enforce and abide by the policies made by the BOE. That system obviously has broken down, and has contributed to all the problems such as not having a football team. Take your head out of your a$$ and do something to correct it if I bother you so much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users