NWC Girl's XC 2010

15 replies to this topic

#1 Track10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Member No.: 6040

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

In 2009, Spencerville scored a perfect 15 in the Cross Country NWC meet. They have familiar names like Kelli Ley, Alexa Brown, Claire McConnell, and Kari Wisher that are likely to be strong for the team this year. However, they're losing their two leaders, Lyndie Brown and Ashley Gilroy.

LCC, though a distant second to Spencerville last year with 66 points, is only losing one 2009 senior, Emily Krumel.

Lincolnview and Columbus Grove were the other teams eligible to score, earning 83 and 89 points.

Allen East Sophomore Hailey Perkins has great potential, as she was the only runner to break up Spencerville's monopoly on the top 6 places. Though she was not included in the point totals as she had no team, look for continued excellence and improvement from her.

Bluffton, though not having a cross country team in a very long time, if ever, is looking to place this year. With track returners Lydia Guagenti, Hannah Chappell-Dick, and Julie Althaus running cross for the first time, Bluffton could have a strong showing. There are many new recruits and freshman with great potential that could complete the team that could possibly even compete with the Spencerville Lady Bearcats.

Let's hear others thoughts on the cross country season that is coming. Who is going to be strong this year? What teams have stepped it up and improved? Which girls have the greatest potential to go far? Let's talk cross country! biggrin.gif

#2 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Member No.: 6097

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Track10 @ Jun 30 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In 2009, Spencerville scored a perfect 15 in the Cross Country NWC meet. They have familiar names like Kelli Ley, Alexa Brown, Claire McConnell, and Kari Wisher that are likely to be strong for the team this year. However, they're losing their two leaders, Lyndie Brown and Ashley Gilroy.

LCC, though a distant second to Spencerville last year with 66 points, is only losing one 2009 senior, Emily Krumel.

Lincolnview and Columbus Grove were the other teams eligible to score, earning 83 and 89 points.

Allen East Sophomore Hailey Perkins has great potential, as she was the only runner to break up Spencerville's monopoly on the top 6 places. Though she was not included in the point totals as she had no team, look for continued excellence and improvement from her.

Bluffton, though not having a cross country team in a very long time, if ever, is looking to place this year. With track returners Lydia Guagenti, Hannah Chappell-Dick, and Julie Althaus running cross for the first time, Bluffton could have a strong showing. There are many new recruits and freshman with great potential that could complete the team that could possibly even compete with the Spencerville Lady Bearcats.

Let's hear others thoughts on the cross country season that is coming. Who is going to be strong this year? What teams have stepped it up and improved? Which girls have the greatest potential to go far? Let's talk cross country! biggrin.gif

At the Blue Jay Invitational, Bluffton put on a good showing; especially for not having a team in quite some time. They beat LCC, Crestview, Lincolnview & Columbus Grove in the NWC and Ottoville who has made several trips lately to state. It's very early and I expect things to change somewhat; however, I don't expect any of the XC teams to upend Spencerville should their top 5 remain healthy but they may get challenged. Only one person from any of the NWC schools finished in front of Spencerville's top 5 and that was Chappel-Dick of Bluffton. I didnt see Perkins from Allen East. One other note is that Kari Wisher graduated last year, Courtney Miller is a member of last years state runner up team that was left off your original list.

#3 hunt4em

All District

• Members
  • 256 posts

Member No.: 4444

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

Check your results again P-G's runners placed 1st and 5th at Delphos.

#4 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (hunt4em @ Sep 4 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read my post and the previous post I responded to again. No one lists the order in which teams finished at the meet. I do list the NWC teams that the Bluffton girls defeated at Delphos. However, not even that list is in order of finish. PG is not even mentioned.

#5 Track10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (hunt4em @ Sep 4 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, but Pandora isn't in the NWC. Sarah Flickinger is a fantastic runner who obviously works very hard and loves what she does. The P-G freshman, Vanessa (I can't think of her last name at the moment), also surprised me. She has a lot of potential, I think. Morgan Humphreys from Bluffton is another freshman to watch.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Steve Prefontaine

#6 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Track10 @ Sep 8 2010, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, but Pandora isn't in the NWC. Sarah Flickinger is a fantastic runner who obviously works very hard and loves what she does. The P-G freshman, Vanessa (I can't think of her last name at the moment), also surprised me. She has a lot of potential, I think. Morgan Humphreys from Bluffton is another freshman to watch.

I'm aware that Pandora isnt in the NWC. If they were, I would've mentioned them for their team results. The thread is titled NWC 2010. Hence, thats why I didnt mention their runners. I only mentioned Ottoville because they have been to state the last few years as a team and Bluffton outperformed them which suprised me. I didnt mention seifker either individually who took second.

#7 Track10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Kodeman @ Sep 9 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm aware that Pandora isnt in the NWC. If they were, I would've mentioned them for their team results. The thread is titled NWC 2010. Hence, thats why I didnt mention their runners. I only mentioned Ottoville because they have been to state the last few years as a team and Bluffton outperformed them which suprised me. I didnt mention seifker either individually who took second.

Sorry, I was clarifying for hunt4em.
Do you know if Ottoville lost some runners? Because I'd expect them to have placed higher also...
-Steve Prefontaine

#8 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (Track10 @ Sep 11 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, I was clarifying for hunt4em.
Do you know if Ottoville lost some runners? Because I'd expect them to have placed higher also...

they lost Molly Maag and Turnwald from last years team. That is all that I'm aware of. However, Maag didnt really run all year due to injury so I'm perplexed why Ottoville hasn't done better as a team. I know there are quite a few seniors on their team but by the looks of it now, Seifker is the only one heading to state.

#9 Track10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Kodeman @ Sep 12 2010, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they lost Molly Maag and Turnwald from last years team. That is all that I'm aware of. However, Maag didnt really run all year due to injury so I'm perplexed why Ottoville hasn't done better as a team. I know there are quite a few seniors on their team but by the looks of it now, Seifker is the only one heading to state.

Hmm... On milesplit it says that their top five were under 21:21 or so, which I guess could get you fairly far, especially with Shayla placing so well. Brinna Rodriguez isn't running the kind of times she is last year right now. Who knows, maybe she's just going to peak later in the season than others. I think that they needed those two graduated seniors to lead them, and they rode the wave of Shayla's success to state. It looks like they just don't have the depth they need this year.

And back to the subject of Pandora-Gilboa, their top four runners are all running very well. Cross country is such a team oriented sport though, which most people don't understand, and they'd need to have a fifth get her time down if they wanted to go to state.

And I just have to say that I am extremely impressed at the hard work and dedication that cross country runners have. One great thing about the sport is the camaraderie with the other runners. Everyone on that course knows that everyone has worked very hard to get where they are, and I think runners from different schools respect each other a lot more than in other sports. It's a great thing.
-Steve Prefontaine

#10 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (Track10 @ Sep 12 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm... On milesplit it says that their top five were under 21:21 or so, which I guess could get you fairly far, especially with Shayla placing so well. Brinna Rodriguez isn't running the kind of times she is last year right now. Who knows, maybe she's just going to peak later in the season than others. I think that they needed those two graduated seniors to lead them, and they rode the wave of Shayla's success to state. It looks like they just don't have the depth they need this year.

And back to the subject of Pandora-Gilboa, their top four runners are all running very well. Cross country is such a team oriented sport though, which most people don't understand, and they'd need to have a fifth get her time down if they wanted to go to state.

And I just have to say that I am extremely impressed at the hard work and dedication that cross country runners have. One great thing about the sport is the camaraderie with the other runners. Everyone on that course knows that everyone has worked very hard to get where they are, and I think runners from different schools respect each other a lot more than in other sports. It's a great thing.

It depends on what regional the teams are assigned to that will largely determine how far they go. The Ottawa district has two groups. In the past, both #1 and #2 districts went to Tiffin. This year, thats not the case. District 1 will go to Tiffin and #2 will go to Troy. Teams at the Ottawa district will place themselves in district 1 or 2 based upon their seed. Typically, this will cause teams to balance out both districts fairly equally in regards to quality of teams. However, this year I bet we see all the top ranked teams place themselves in District 1 and elect to go to Tiffin over Troy. If they dont chose Tiffin, none of them will be going to state as a team. None of them! Mile split has Liberty Benton as the top ranked team out of the Tiffin regional as of right now. However, there will be another district joining at tiffin this year and it has Seneca East and AShland Crestview in it. SE isnt as deep as they have been in the past so Tiffin is still the best route to go. Spencerville is the best local D3 team in the Lima area not including Minster. They have beaten ottoville, Kalida, Bluffton, PG, Liberty benton etc... They are in the troy regional and its unlikely they will get to state as a team. Meanwhile, LB and potentially Bluffton may get to state thru Tiffin.

#11 Track10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Kodeman @ Sep 15 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends on what regional the teams are assigned to that will largely determine how far they go. The Ottawa district has two groups. In the past, both #1 and #2 districts went to Tiffin. This year, thats not the case. District 1 will go to Tiffin and #2 will go to Troy. Teams at the Ottawa district will place themselves in district 1 or 2 based upon their seed. Typically, this will cause teams to balance out both districts fairly equally in regards to quality of teams. However, this year I bet we see all the top ranked teams place themselves in District 1 and elect to go to Tiffin over Troy. If they dont chose Tiffin, none of them will be going to state as a team. None of them! Mile split has Liberty Benton as the top ranked team out of the Tiffin regional as of right now. However, there will be another district joining at tiffin this year and it has Seneca East and AShland Crestview in it. SE isnt as deep as they have been in the past so Tiffin is still the best route to go. Spencerville is the best local D3 team in the Lima area not including Minster. They have beaten ottoville, Kalida, Bluffton, PG, Liberty benton etc... They are in the troy regional and its unlikely they will get to state as a team. Meanwhile, LB and potentially Bluffton may get to state thru Tiffin.

So if you had to pick a top four list from Troy and one from Tiffin, what teams would you be likely to pick?
-Steve Prefontaine

#12 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Track10 @ Sep 15 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if you had to pick a top four list from Troy and one from Tiffin, what teams would you be likely to pick?

Troy- MInster, Versailles, Russia and West liberty salem... Ft. Loramie as number 5, if Janel Olberding was running, I would put Loramie in top 4. Russia doesnt have depth so that could be a problem if an injury occurs. Spencerville and Covington on the outside looking in and wishing they were in another regional.

Tiffin- Hard to say because we dont know which teams from the ottawa district will be going to troy or tiffin but I will assume the top teams will select tiffin to avoid the slaughter house that awaits any of them in troy...

Ashkland crestview, Liberty benton, Senneca East and Liberty Center... I doubt anyone of them would be able to make it out of troy but perhaps one.

Your turn

#13 Track10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Kodeman @ Sep 16 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Troy- MInster, Versailles, Russia and West liberty salem... Ft. Loramie as number 5, if Janel Olberding was running, I would put Loramie in top 4. Russia doesnt have depth so that could be a problem if an injury occurs. Spencerville and Covington on the outside looking in and wishing they were in another regional.

Tiffin- Hard to say because we dont know which teams from the ottawa district will be going to troy or tiffin but I will assume the top teams will select tiffin to avoid the slaughter house that awaits any of them in troy...

Ashkland crestview, Liberty benton, Senneca East and Liberty Center... I doubt anyone of them would be able to make it out of troy but perhaps one.

Your turn

Honestly, I have very little knowledge of cross country teams other than the nwc and surrounding areas. On milesplit though, I looked at the teams you said and agreed with your conclusions.
First of all, troy is rediculous! How are the top 4 teams in the state all in one regional?
Secondly, when you look at the list of the top four teams out of the TIffin regional, (Region 10) you get Liberty-Benton, Liberty-Center, Bluffton, and Toledo Christian. Obviously, though, not all the teams have registered yet, so I'd assume what you said was more accurate. Plus, it's so early in the season, so there's much fluidity between the top four teams still.
-Steve Prefontaine

#14 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Track10 @ Sep 20 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I have very little knowledge of cross country teams other than the nwc and surrounding areas. On milesplit though, I looked at the teams you said and agreed with your conclusions.
First of all, troy is rediculous! How are the top 4 teams in the state all in one regional?
Secondly, when you look at the list of the top four teams out of the TIffin regional, (Region 10) you get Liberty-Benton, Liberty-Center, Bluffton, and Toledo Christian. Obviously, though, not all the teams have registered yet, so I'd assume what you said was more accurate. Plus, it's so early in the season, so there's much fluidity between the top four teams still.

Milesplit isnt up to date on moving the district with seneca East and Ashland Cretview over to Tiffin in the rankings. In recent years, this district went to Troy as well. Now, they moved that district back to Tiffin which makes sense geographically and in return, is sending the 2nd district from Ottawa to troy with the 1st district still going to Tiffin. So... you need to figure those two teams in the Tiffin district. I think of the 4 teams you mentioned, Liberty Benton is the better team. I dont know how many Troy regional teams Liberty Benton has faced but spencerville did beat them at Columbus grove and I doubt spencerville will make it out of troy. Kind of gives you an understanding of the competitiveness at Troy. 2 years ago, the top 4 teams at the troy regional placed in the the top 4 at state. Last year, the top 2 teams in D3 were in the same district and finshed 1-2 through state! Its like a state meet at troy routinely. Very good teams and individual runners are not guaranteed to make it out of this regional. The system that is set up does not ensure the top 16 teams or 64 individuals are at state but at least every team and individual knows what they are up against from the get go.

#15 Track10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (Kodeman @ Sep 21 2010, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Milesplit isnt up to date on moving the district with seneca East and Ashland Cretview over to Tiffin in the rankings. In recent years, this district went to Troy as well. Now, they moved that district back to Tiffin which makes sense geographically and in return, is sending the 2nd district from Ottawa to troy with the 1st district still going to Tiffin. So... you need to figure those two teams in the Tiffin district. I think of the 4 teams you mentioned, Liberty Benton is the better team. I dont know how many Troy regional teams Liberty Benton has faced but spencerville did beat them at Columbus grove and I doubt spencerville will make it out of troy. Kind of gives you an understanding of the competitiveness at Troy. 2 years ago, the top 4 teams at the troy regional placed in the the top 4 at state. Last year, the top 2 teams in D3 were in the same district and finshed 1-2 through state! Its like a state meet at troy routinely. Very good teams and individual runners are not guaranteed to make it out of this regional. The system that is set up does not ensure the top 16 teams or 64 individuals are at state but at least every team and individual knows what they are up against from the get go.

It's strange that Troy has so many good teams. And speaking of which, Minster did extremely well at the Van Wert Co. Hosp. Inv. Four of their top runners finished in the top 10. Not surprising though, since they are always such a good team...

And back to the NWC, what does everyone think about the individual titles. Kelli Ley, of course, is by far the leader and I expect her to capture the title easily. Spencerville has four more in the top 10. From other schools, there's Bluffton's Hannah Chappell-Dick and Morgan Humphreys, Grove's Amber Herron, Crestview's Courtney Perrott, and Allen East's Hailey Perkins... Is there anyone who's improving quickly that could have a place near the top?

MileSplit's stats: http://oh.milesplit.com/rankings/2010/cc/h...p;v=&l=1405

Edited by Track10, 26 September 2010 - 08:16 AM.

-Steve Prefontaine

#16 Kodeman

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (Track10 @ Sep 26 2010, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's strange that Troy has so many good teams. And speaking of which, Minster did extremely well at the Van Wert Co. Hosp. Inv. Four of their top runners finished in the top 10. Not surprising though, since they are always such a good team...

And back to the NWC, what does everyone think about the individual titles. Kelli Ley, of course, is by far the leader and I expect her to capture the title easily. Spencerville has four more in the top 10. From other schools, there's Bluffton's Hannah Chappell-Dick and Morgan Humphreys, Grove's Amber Herron, Crestview's Courtney Perrott, and Allen East's Hailey Perkins... Is there anyone who's improving quickly that could have a place near the top?

MileSplit's stats: http://oh.milesplit.com/rankings/2010/cc/h...p;v=&l=1405

I think its a no brainer as far as girls team champs go. Although I think Bluffton has done an excellent job this year and will continue to get better. This will help their track team out come spring time as well. I look for Chappel-Dick to give Ley a run for her money Saturday.
I just noticed the ottawa district assignments and as expected, the top teams and talent elected to battle it out amongst themselves and take their chances at Tiffin rather than go to the slaughter house at troy. Can't blame them a bit! I would've done the same thing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users