Van Wert at Ottawa Glandorf

33 replies to this topic

#1 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,822 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Van Wert is 13-5, I'm guessing the Cougs will enter this game 14-5 after the game Tues. against Delphos Jefferson. Titans are 13-6. Before the season began Rocketman and myself agreed on the over/ under on OG wins during the regular season at 13.5, so this is a swing game. Hopefully the titans go over.

Van Wert hasn't won at OG since 1994, which is right around the time Dave Froelich took over at VW. Since '94 OG has won 15 of the past 22 meetings between the 2 teams. This includes a 2-2 split in tournament games.

All time the series is 31- 20 in favor of OG.

#2 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,060 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Falcon,
very astute on your part :bow2: ........when I put the number on total wins for the Titans at this number though, I didn't realize how badly they had "dumbed down"
their schedule this year......I had to check Davey1.com to realize that OG had replaced Napoleon, Findlay, and Anthony Wayne with Houston, Miller City, and Leipsic.....

Now I am clearly not meaning any disrespect to those D4 powers, but I have always heard from the OG fans about how their schedule was so tough.........you throw in
Fostoria and Bryan in addition to some of the WBL cupcakes and the perception doesn't match the reality any longer.........and then i read on another thread where they
are picking up Bluffton and Kalida next year?..........a couple more of these and I might start having to consider whether OG is more concerned with "W's".........I do think
that the Titans do add to their win total this Friday night and finish .5 games to the positive..........RM
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#3 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

View PostRocketman, on 19 February 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Falcon,
very astute on your part :bow2: ........when I put the number on total wins for the Titans at this number though, I didn't realize how badly they had "dumbed down"
their schedule this year......I had to check Davey1.com to realize that OG had replaced Napoleon, Findlay, and Anthony Wayne with Houston, Miller City, and Leipsic.....

Now I am clearly not meaning any disrespect to those D4 powers, but I have always heard from the OG fans about how their schedule was so tough.........you throw in
Fostoria and Bryan in addition to some of the WBL cupcakes and the perception doesn't match the reality any longer.........and then i read on another thread where they
are picking up Bluffton and Kalida next year?..........a couple more of these and I might start having to consider whether OG is more concerned with "W's".........I do think
that the Titans do add to their win total this Friday night and finish .5 games to the positive..........RM
The Titans didn't replace Findlay, Napoleon, and Anthony Wayne. Findlay, Napoleon, and Anthony Wayne replaced the Titans. Get your facts straight.

#4 dropNdimes

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Member No.: 5933

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

OG wins! They are too big for Van Wert. If a couple of the guards can throw it in the ocean from knee deep, they win easily. OG will be physical with J. Myers and leave Hurless and Phillips to shoot which isn't their forte. OG 56-46

#5 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

OG at home. Close.

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#6 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostDakota Green, on 20 February 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

The Titans didn't replace Findlay, Napoleon, and Anthony Wayne. Findlay, Napoleon, and Anthony Wayne replaced the Titans. Get your facts straight.
Exactly, and believe me OG is trying desperately to maintain a strong schedule. Easier said than done.

#7 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

No one wants to play a school with 3 junior high feeder programs. Almost like they are a private school.

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#8 The Owl

All District

• Members
  • 207 posts

Member No.: 9031

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Not sure why you delight in poking at OG basketball Mr. Rocketman?

Either you dislike them due to some personal history, or you are just stirring the pot.

Care to share which?

One of the best small school basketball programs year in and year out for the past 20 years, that doesn't recruit, doesn't benefit from dozens of boys transferring in, and other than being called "arrogant" by Froehlich and other victims of a one-sided relationship, has been a class program.

Is it just the stereotypical small-town envy of OG that many PCL schools suffer from?

Or did your son get cut/sit the bench for the Titans?

#9 titanman01

All District

• Members
  • 114 posts

Member No.: 7693

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostLimaJock, on 20 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

No one wants to play a school with 3 junior high feeder programs. Almost like they are a private school.

LJ
We are in no way close to a private school, don't even know how you make the comparison.

Edited by titanman01, 21 February 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#10 BeaverCleaver

All District

• Members
  • 187 posts

Member No.: 485

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostLimaJock, on 20 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

LJ
I could be wrong but it seems like it's only a 2 junior high feeder program for basketball lately. I can't recall any significant contributors from Ottawa Elementary since the Pollitz boys. Can someone clarify that?
Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

#11 Goin2goal

All District

• Members
  • 342 posts

Member No.: 2371

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Perhaps OG wouldn't schedule the "Stinky's school for the deaf, dumb and drunk", back when Rocketman attended. lol.

#12 wally

All League

• Members
  • 81 posts

Member No.: 5393

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

I guess OG's schedule could be worse...they could schedule 2 games, home and away with Pandora.

Rocket must forget about Lima Senior, Bowling Green, Perrysburg...not to mention Grove and Leipsic are pretty good this year.

Come up for some air man....you're spending too much time under old man stinky's apron.

#13 Hog Heaven

All District

• Members
  • 182 posts

Member No.: 1755

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostBeaverCleaver, on 21 February 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

I could be wrong but it seems like it's only a 2 junior high feeder program for basketball lately. I can't recall any significant contributors from Ottawa Elementary since the Pollitz boys. Can someone clarify that?

I may miss some, but you have Jay Laubenthal, Matt Fought, Ronnie Maynard, Ryan Burgei, Tyler Closson, Taylor Kuhlman, Jacob Moening, Brian Schmiedebusch, Brian Laubenthal, Zac Buckland, Adam Hershberger. Not a bad list, in fact If I am not mistaken the only two D 1 football players the OG program has produced in recent memory and a few other all league and all state football players on this list. Not bad for the 3rd wheel of the OG program. Also as a side note I believe The Maynard and Kuhlman classes won the County tournament in those respective years.

#14 titanman01

All District

• Members
  • 114 posts

Member No.: 7693

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostHog Heaven, on 21 February 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

I may miss some, but you have Jay Laubenthal, Matt Fought, Ronnie Maynard, Ryan Burgei, Tyler Closson, Taylor Kuhlman, Jacob Moening, Brian Schmiedebusch, Brian Laubenthal, Zac Buckland, Adam Hershberger. Not a bad list, in fact If I am not mistaken the only two D 1 football players the OG program has produced in recent memory and a few other all league and all state football players on this list. Not bad for the 3rd wheel of the OG program. Also as a side note I believe The Maynard and Kuhlman classes won the County tournament in those respective years.

Very nice list and add to that Coach McGlaughlin teaches at OE so maybe even more of the young ones develop some interest.

Edited by titanman01, 21 February 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#15 country boy

All District

• Members
  • 245 posts

Member No.: 8998

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostHog Heaven, on 21 February 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Not a bad list but there are 2 or 3 guys on this pretty short list who if I remember right didn't really play any significant minutes in basketball. This is more of a football list if anything. How many kids from OE are even in the OG program right now?

#16 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,822 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

View Posttitanman01, on 21 February 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Very nice list and add to that Coach McGlaughlin teaches at OE so maybe even more of the young ones develop some interest.

Tyson also played at OE as did Ryan Maag........add the Pollitz twins and you have 4 of OG's 9 1000 point scorers that came from OE.

Not to mention Scott and Randy Maag and all state PG Brad Schoemaeker from the late 80's also attended OE.

But, yes, as of late OE has had it share of struggles.

and no it is not like a private school, there is a distinct school district with boundaries and to my knowledge no one has ever transferred or moved in to OG school district to play basketball.

#17 BeaverCleaver

All District

• Members
  • 187 posts

Member No.: 485

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the responses. I stand corrected. There's definitely a wealth of knowledge for OG sports on this board.
Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

#18 neutronman

All District

• Members
  • 135 posts

Member No.: 5002

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

When you look at it from an outsider it is really amazing that none of the talent from the area of schools have transferred to play at OG. There are a few players that could have really benefitted from the additional exposure playing for OG (in fb or bball) would have brought them. It also makes you wonder how other schools seem to get transfers without "recruiting" them. Transferring doesn't appear to be iniated by parents or players.

#19 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

View Postneutronman, on 21 February 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

When you look at it from an outsider it is really amazing that none of the talent from the area of schools have transferred to play at OG. There are a few players that could have really benefitted from the additional exposure playing for OG (in fb or bball) would have brought them. It also makes you wonder how other schools seem to get transfers without "recruiting" them. Transferring doesn't appear to be iniated by parents or players.
Based on my experience of transferring myself and knowledge of friends who have transferred.....99% of the time it is initiated by the players.

#20 Ihatesoccer

All District

• Members
  • 160 posts

Member No.: 3741

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

MAN you got off the topic???

OG beats Van Wert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users