What's next for Lima Senior basketball?

271 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Horner

All League

• Members
  • 27 posts

Member No.: 5618

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Have heard rumors that Shawn Allen may be leaving after next season. Is it time for Lima Senior to pull a LCC move and name Quincy Simpson as "coach in waiting".

#2 Werner Von Braun

All League

• Members
  • 44 posts

Member No.: 9222

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

As long as Spartans are in the TRAC and losing players via vouchers, it's not going to matter who the coach is. The cards are stacked against them.

#3 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 3042

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

was only a matter of time. once his boy graduates and finds a school that the younger one can play for, hes gone. Q.S. will do a better if given the chance. when he was coaching the jvs, the team just looked better than the varsity.

Edited by kaizen, 01 March 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#4 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Member No.: 9232

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Just curious can somebody name players that transferred b/c of the voucher program that would have made an impact over the last few years?

#5 Osu4me

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,173 posts

Member No.: 1916

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Coach Allen is going nowhere, and I believe all of the younger Simpson children are in the Catholic school system. There parents like it there and are involved with the boosters. They are good people.

#6 West Nile Virus

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Member No.: 1313

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Lima Sr. is not struggling because it is losing "good" players other schools and not because it is in an extremely tough league. Lima has had terrific talent (Anton Hutchins, Tyler White) and still could not win. Watch them play. If anyone can explain what the offensive strategy is please share it. Is anyone coaching defense? LIma is stuck in the 90's (remember "Can you run with the Spartans"?) Well guess what, everybody can run with the Spartans now and run around them and through them and over them.
They lose because they don't know what to do out there. They play with one plan and if it does not work, they are done. They played Perrysburg pretty even the other night. Perrysburg switched up their defense. Ball game. Take every kid from LCC, Perry, Shawnee or any other school who has Lima Senior flavor and put them back in red and grey and they STILL will not win.
Can you see where I am going with this?

#7 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I personally do not, please elaborate.

#8 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

What happened to this thread???

#9 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostStudentOfTheGame, on 02 March 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Really? I think he is implying it may be coaching.

#10 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostStudentOfTheGame, on 02 March 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Slow learner!!!!!

#11 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

View Postfortfan, on 07 March 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Really? I think he is implying it may be coaching.

So if he's implying it's the coaching I would be interested in knowing who would be better for the position. What is your explanation as to why it is that 90% of the time the blame is on the coach?

View Postflounder, on 07 March 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Slow learner!!!!!

lol - good one!
...or perhaps I disagree and believe the players lack passion

My apologies that I like to get clarification? Why so vague if you are going to point fingers? Why not just be forward w/ your opinion? Much easier to debate w/ that approach.

I wake up everyday eager to learn, as I would rather learn daily, then think I know it all. See where I am going with that?

#12 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Now if we are done w/ the sarcasm I would like to get back on topic.

What I was trying to point out is that one or two kids does not make a team terrific. The other three along with the five to seven on the bench makes a team terrific.

#13 West Nile Virus

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

They lack passion? Really? Your study of the game led you to THAT conclusion? Oh, sorry, no sarcasm. :wallbash:
Yes it is coaching that I was alluding to, apparently too cryptically. I don't have a person in mind for the job but whoever it is I hope teaching fundamentals is part of his routine. Things like blocking out, setting screens, cuts to the basket, running actual plays that involve more than one guy dribbling the the other four standng around. Defensively, have a plan for when speed and steals are not working. You can't be a fast break team if you can't rebound, you can't rebound if you don't understand blocking out and position.
When you never see improvment in fundamentals over the course of the year and the story is the same year after year, then you have to ask "why not"? The answer to that question is sitting on the bench.

#14 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

I believe we are getting at the same thing.

I'll quote you since you provided specific examples:

"Things like blocking out, setting screens, cuts to the basket..."

These should be taught and learned at the 3rd thru 8th grade levels. One can argue the varsity coach should be involved with this level in order to have sustained success. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I think that it's a players responsibility to learn the game on their own or from the outside.

That's all...sorry striking a nerve and wanting clarification.

#15 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

I think you are right-the players lack passion and they are not sound fundamentally. Maybe a coaching change will help-maybe not.

#16 West Nile Virus

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Somewhere I do think the perspective has been lost. We are talking about 15-17 year old kids. They went out for the team and want to play basketball. Guess I never thought of "passion" as a factor. Lack of size, speed, shooting, discipline, athleticism, or just plain skill can cause issues with winning. But passion? Well, whatever.

You are correct, however, that fundmental skills are developed early on but it is not like riding a bicycle. You can learn them but if you don't practice them over and over they get lost. Why do college programs employ 12 assistant coaches? Even kids at this level need to be reminded and drilled over and over until it becomes just a part of what they do. If you see a team that lack those skills in game one and still lacks them in game eighteen, that is a coaching issue.

#17 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Point taken and agreed.

#18 whodey

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Member No.: 6889

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

just look at the LCC boxscore in the paper today and you can figure out whats wrong with Lima Sr Basketball..3 of the 4 in double figures were in lima's school system just 3 years ago (ironically when LCC won the state title)..No school can lose that many good players and overcome it

#19 lefty

All State

• Members
  • 738 posts

Member No.: 804

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Lima Senior I think is in the same position as Findlay. You could find kids in pick-up games around town that aren't even part of the team and would beat the varsity team.

#20 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postwhodey, on 10 March 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

just look at the LCC boxscore in the paper today and you can figure out whats wrong with Lima Sr Basketball..3 of the 4 in double figures were in lima's school system just 3 years ago (ironically when LCC won the state title)..No school can lose that many good players and overcome it

How dare you say such slanderous garbage. If flounder wasn't watching, I would give you a piece of my mind :furious: Those boys made decisions based solely on academics. I'm SURE the tuition they pay :bag: is well worth it.

LJ

Edited by LimaJock, 10 March 2013 - 04:16 PM.

"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users