Vanlue

411 replies to this topic

#1 DonnyDonuts

All District

• Members
  • 131 posts

Member No.: 9180

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

Vanlue did not renew their coaches contract for next year any chance Zach Garber takes his talents to a different school next via open enrollment?

#2 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Only if the family establishes residence in another district.
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#3 DonnyDonuts

All District

• Members
  • 131 posts

Member No.: 9180

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

They wouldn't be the first family to rent a house for a year!

#4 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Member No.: 706

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

I admit I haven't followed Vanlue all that closely, but didn't they have a really good record? I am almost positive they were well above .500. They are a little, tiny town and have had nice teams the last several years. I saw them a few years ago and was very impressed by them and the way they played. I am pretty sure the coaching staff was the same as coached them last year. This makes zero sense to me and is sad if it is just basketball related.

Does anybody know the record they had the past few years? What am I missing?

#5 veteranlefty

All District

• Members
  • 214 posts

Member No.: 9179

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Vanlue has been good most years for past 6-7 years maybe due to several really good high school players. They had a big Kloepfer boy and point guard Lee first...Lee just finished up a decent college hoop career at Bluffton and Kloepfer played college football somewhere I think. Then they had a Cook kid that was a great guard who carried them for a year or two. The last two years they had another Kloepfer and a Garber kid (6 foot 9) who carried them. They probably have averaged 15 wins a year or so in that period and current coach is a Kloepfer (uncle of the players I think). His style irritated some parents and board members and they came up with some crazy rules he had to follow this year like making practices open to parents or board members and some other things he did not like. I am not 100% sure on every detail but I think he is a pretty aggressive and demanding coach (which is not a bad thing IMO) but you know in today's world some parents are pretty soft and do not like that at all. Garber is a really talented player and has offers from Toledo and others and he is the only real threat they have coming back and he has a pretty close tie to current coach as well I think. It would not surprise me if he looked to play his senior year in a better situation to showcase his talents like a Liberty-Benton or Findlay per se. After he leaves Vanlue will go back to winning 2 or 3 games a year for awhile.

#6 tiffindude3313

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Member No.: 5815

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

...talked to some friends from there, and they thought the Wildcats were 19-3 last season and 17-4 this season, and thought they had won quite a few the previous seasons also. They said they definitely had some decent players to build around the Garber kid, but didn't know if he would stay...coach is an uncle. Whole situation sounds crazy. Too bad for a nice community seeing good success.

#7 Coach_B

All District

• Members
  • 470 posts

Member No.: 968

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

For the record they non-renewed ALL supplementals at the board meeting. It's a procedural thing that schools do this time of year. That said, I have heard rumblings that coach Kloepfer won't be back.He won a fight to keep his job last year. For some reason the Super wants him gone I believe. Too bad he's a good coach.

#8 tiffindude3313

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Member No.: 5815

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

spoke to friends again---super had meeting at school to tell players that they were not having the coach back. You are right Coach B---that is too bad. Given what veteranlefty said above and looking at the other schools in the conference that have/are doing well, it's a good thing this super wasn't Williman's (sp?), Roth's, or Vermillion's super......I sure have seen them yell a time or two.....longevity has been beneficial to their programs big time. Some people just don't get that. Well, good luck to the Wildcats.

#9 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Unless there is some glaring omisssion of malfeasance, this may be the biggest load of horse crap I've heard here (ever?).

Seems like they tried this once before. Was that the football or basketball coach at Vanlue?

They don't have a coach problem. They have a political/administration problem. Only a fool would take a job there...
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#10 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just when I think people can't get any crazier, stuff like this happens. I remember hearing he worked for or with Liberty Benton's coach. When I saw them, they reminded me that year of Liberty Benton but less talent. I remember seeing the kids play significantly harder than the team they played against. I am sure Liberty Benton would love to have a 6'9 move in next year to help their cause.

#11 polkhigh33

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 5318

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Didn't they just have a big spat about the Super???
Always a watchful eyes on those Tiffin Calvert Senecas, Marion Local Flyers, Fort Loramie Redskins , New Albany Eagles.

#12 reddevils

All District

• Members
  • 397 posts

Member No.: 2524

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Maybe it has to do with parents trying to get involved in the program too much. :shrug2:

Edited by reddevils, 20 March 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#13 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

View Postreddevils, on 20 March 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

Maybe it has to do with parents trying to get involved in the program too much. :shrug2:
same story; different school.......it's today's norm. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#14 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Its not wise to mess with a mother, sister, aunt, cousin, wife, daughter....... and not expect retribution. I vote for the position to be filled by Mr. Consolidation. I hear he is really qualified.

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#15 FiredupDevil

All District

• Members
  • 151 posts

Member No.: 9094

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

As far as a Coach in the few times i saw Vamlue play this year, they seemed very undisciplined in their offense shot selection and style. Seems like it would be easy to hi-low with 6'6 amd 6'9 but saw very few of it.
"Our objective is simple, to make the great state of Ohio proud" Urban F. Meyer

2014 BVC Football Prediction Champ

#16 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

High/Low is only easy if you have guards that can shoot. I didn't see Vanlue, but heard their guard play was not all that good. If you don't have to worry much about perimeter players, it makes it much easier for good coaches to neutralize post players.

#17 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. There will be a considerable drop of from the last two seasons in talent.

#18 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

High/Low is only easy if you have guards that can shoot.

Agreed... Plus the guards have to be able to make the post pass. This is not as easy/simple as it seems. Most kids have no clue how to do it. Like everything in basketball...this is a skill that takes time to develop. How many kids you know take extra time in the summer to work on their passing skills?
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#19 cropduster

All District

• Members
  • 269 posts

Member No.: 2687

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Where will the big kid go and play now? His step dad is a Kloepher and If the coach is gone can't see him staying around.

#20 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Member No.: 695

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

View Postcropduster, on 21 March 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Where will the big kid go and play now? His step dad is a Kloepher and If the coach is gone can't see him staying around.
well unless he "moves" into a new district I believe carey would be his only option as that is where he came from if I remember correctly.
2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 - Champion
Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users