What has happened to Ottawa-Glandorf girls basketball ?

226 replies to this topic

#1 Ihatesoccer

All District

• Members
  • 160 posts

Member No.: 3741

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

what is going on at OG girls basketball ?

they used to have a power house? now they are not even in the games ?

#2 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Sometimes you just go through them stages in sports when you are good for a certain period of time and then you go through some bad times. I believe they got a good coaching staff so you cant point the blame there, I just think the talent just hasn't been the same. Girls soccer is the same way, they had some good talent about 3 years ago and then it slowly decreased. I'm not sure what kind of talent they got coming up but your right they have been down lately.

Edited by Mysterio, 29 February 2012 - 10:36 AM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#3 doslobos

All District

• Members
  • 103 posts

Member No.: 9220

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

They play hard, so the coaches are doing something right.

#4 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

It's the coaching.....plenty of talent on volleyball, track and softball teams.....
Nobody wants to play for this chick.

#5 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostVictorian, on 29 February 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

It's the coaching.....plenty of talent on volleyball, track and softball teams.....
Nobody wants to play for this chick.

Well every sport is different. If you're good in volleyball that doesn't necessarily mean you are good in basketball. Maybe it is the coaching, maybe it's not. Regardless each sport requires a different kind of talent though.

Edited by Mysterio, 29 February 2012 - 01:10 PM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#6 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

OG probably doesn't have enough girls that focus solely on basketball.

#7 bambino

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Member No.: 5935

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I know they are very young so hopefully they can turn it around

#8 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Member No.: 9154

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

The coach might be a very nice person, but, as a coach, Ooooooooooooooooh boy! I have sat close to the bench a few times and all I heard were negative statements. You can't do this!!!! or You can't do that!!! Nothing that was positive or information to help the players. I have not been to one of their practices so maybe it's alot different then. I hope it is.

They do have a very nice looking freshman starter. Ellerbrock I believe. So maybe there's a brighter future ahead if they can get her some help.

#9 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postcameroncrazie90, on 29 February 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

OG probably doesn't have enough girls that focus solely on basketball.
Very possible. OG is in a very good conference for girls hoops, the WBL. Bath, Shawnee, Celina, Van Wert all typically strong programs. Depending on school size, coaching, I think it's difficult to have strong volleyball and basketball programs today. First of all, you have a limited number of good girl athletes in the school. The athletic ones are typically good at most sports. The explosion of club volleyball has taken some of these girls into year around volleyball. Especially if coaches have high expectations on summer programs and doubling up during a season. Many club teams have been practicing since mid January (how this is allowed, I have no clue). The by product is kids are either selecting to play one sport, or being pushed into being one sport athletes. I'm sure if you moved over to the softball or track boards, it would be worse. High school spring sports are really suffering because club volleyball and AAU basketball are during the spring. Don't mind kids having more opportunity, but don't like kids being one sport athletes.

#10 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 29 February 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Very possible. OG is in a very good conference for girls hoops, the WBL. Bath, Shawnee, Celina, Van Wert all typically strong programs. Depending on school size, coaching, I think it's difficult to have strong volleyball and basketball programs today. First of all, you have a limited number of good girl athletes in the school. The athletic ones are typically good at most sports. The explosion of club volleyball has taken some of these girls into year around volleyball. Especially if coaches have high expectations on summer programs and doubling up during a season. Many club teams have been practicing since mid January (how this is allowed, I have no clue). The by product is kids are either selecting to play one sport, or being pushed into being one sport athletes. I'm sure if you moved over to the softball or track boards, it would be worse. High school spring sports are really suffering because club volleyball and AAU basketball are during the spring. Don't mind kids having more opportunity, but don't like kids being one sport athletes.

I hear ya.....sad thing is it is all money driven by the folks running the club and aau teams/circuit.
You could probably count on one hand the amount of boys AND girls in Putnam county who have received full rides to D1 schools.....

So what's the point?
What we end up with is watered down teams and athletes who are injured, and burnt out by the time they graduate.

Edited by Victorian, 01 March 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#11 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostVictorian, on 01 March 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

I hear ya.....sad thing is it is all money driven by the folks running the club and aau teams/circuit.
You could probably count on one hand the amount of boys AND girls in Putnam county who have received full rides to D1 schools.....

So what's the point?
What we end up with is watered down teams and athletes who are injured, and burnt out by the time they graduate.
You said a mouthful Victorian. And I don't blame the folks who run club and AAU teams, they are simply providing an outlet that obvioulsy people want. I think there's just a breakdown today of any sense of responsibility for representing your school and community. A kid will start in junior high, then just up and quit in high school. That spot could have been used by someone who would have been commited to the program through high school.
The whole scholarship thing is amazing. You are right, there are very, very few athletes who get any scholarship money specifically for athletics. Even many D1's and D2's are partcial scholarships. D3, NAIA are all pay to play. The availability of athletic scholarships are one of the biggest myths out there today

#12 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 01 March 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

You said a mouthful Victorian. And I don't blame the folks who run club and AAU teams, they are simply providing an outlet that obvioulsy people want. I think there's just a breakdown today of any sense of responsibility for representing your school and community. A kid will start in junior high, then just up and quit in high school. That spot could have been used by someone who would have been commited to the program through high school.
The whole scholarship thing is amazing. You are right, there are very, very few athletes who get any scholarship money specifically for athletics. Even many D1's and D2's are partcial scholarships. D3, NAIA are all pay to play. The availability of athletic scholarships are one of the biggest myths out there today

The last post pretty much hit the nail on the head, especially the part of commonsense's post that I highlighted...........the big problem with that, the outlet is usually for the parents and not the players, and skills are not developed on the AAU/ AYBT/ club circuit.......and in some (most?) cases the coaching is somewhere between awful and non- existent.

#13 Ihatesoccer

All District

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostVictorian, on 01 March 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

So what's the point?

Victorion = alot of people think of that as old and your bullsh-t is getting old.

get your bullcrap together

Div 1 athletes from Putnam Co. OTTAWA-GLANDORF ONLY
Tim Pollitz
Eric Pollitz
Meliane Halker
Jackie Inkrott
Katie Kiene
Shelly Bellman
Maddy Shalter
Allison Schroeder
Brittney Kirocoff
Matt Fought
BJ Dickey
Jerry Burgei
Al Laubenthal
Shawn Ballabaugh
Rod Alt
Steve Alt
Matt Goddsil
Ken Pothast
Jenn Rosslit
Ed Hovest
Bill Burgei
Casey Schroeder
Neinberg kicker at Michigan
Dave Compton Kicker at Ohio State
Steve Weis
Jeff Huggins
Tom White
Skip Humberger
Tiff Ruhe

sorry if I mispelled any names. These are just from Ottawa-Glandorf that I can think of plus alot of athletes that went to Div 1 AA and Div 2 that also got athletic scholorships.

so VICTORIAN you old fashion
get with the New if you want a college scholorship most do better and get more reconition with club sports.

#14 woodynbo

All District

• Members
  • 108 posts

Member No.: 5330

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

hatesoccer

I wonder how many of your listed athletes from OG played club sports.I know the football players did'nt, and if they were not involeved in club sports they got their scholarships because they were good. When your good your good and colleges will find you.

#15 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostIhatesoccer, on 01 March 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Victorion = alot of people think of that as old and your bullsh-t is getting old.

get your bullcrap together

Div 1 athletes from Putnam Co. OTTAWA-GLANDORF ONLY
Tim Pollitz
Eric Pollitz
Meliane Halker
Jackie Inkrott
Katie Kiene
Shelly Bellman
Maddy Shalter
Allison Schroeder
Brittney Kirocoff
Matt Fought
BJ Dickey
Jerry Burgei
Al Laubenthal
Shawn Ballabaugh
Rod Alt
Steve Alt
Matt Goddsil
Ken Pothast
Jenn Rosslit
Ed Hovest
Bill Burgei
Casey Schroeder
Neinberg kicker at Michigan
Jeff Compton Kicker at Ohio State
Steve Weis
Jeff Huggins
Tom White
Skip Humberger
Tiff Ruhe

sorry if I mispelled any names. These are just from Ottawa-Glandorf that I can think of plus alot of athletes that went to Div 1 AA and Div 2 that also got athletic scholorships.

so VICTORIAN you old fashion
get with the New if you want a college scholorship most do better and get more reconition with club sports.

All of these listed were outstanding athletes and worked very hard on their own to reach the levels they did on the playing field/ court, etc. Probably very few played club sports, and if they did I highly doubt that if you asked them that they would attribute that as to why they recieved said scholarship.

Plus I am pretty sure Victorian was talking about basketball in that case the list is 5 people long (T and E Pollitz, Shelly Bellman, Stacey Verhoff and Melanie Halker) and 2 of the 5 come from the same family. What is the ratio then for the 5 student- athletes that recieved scholarship to the 1000's that have played club basketball over the years at OG, still less than 1%.

Plus you listed 29 athletes in OG history, in all sports, that recieved a D-I scholarship. 29 out of ?????? that is a small percentage of every boy and girl that has played all sports at OG over the past 45 years.

#16 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

While UD Is division 1 in basketball They are not in football..... I think there are a couple others On that list that our division 2...
Certainly not taking anything away from their accomplishments....... But that is still an impressive list And 1 of the greatest athletes Is not mentioned!....... I'll let you guys figure it out
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#17 winit4me

All State

• Members
  • 541 posts

Member No.: 142

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Could the initials be LB??

#18 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

View Postwinit4me, on 01 March 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Could the initials be LB??

no..........HE was a basketball star when I was in grade school...........
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#19 Ihatesoccer

All District

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 01 March 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

All of these listed were outstanding athletes and worked very hard on their own to reach the levels they did on the playing field/ court, etc. Probably very few played club sports, and if they did I highly doubt that if you asked them that they would attribute that as to why they recieved said scholarship.

Plus I am pretty sure Victorian was talking about basketball in that case the list is 5 people long (T and E Pollitz, Shelly Bellman, Stacey Verhoff and Melanie Halker) and 2 of the 5 come from the same family. What is the ratio then for the 5 student- athletes that recieved scholarship to the 1000's that have played club basketball over the years at OG, still less than 1%.

Plus you listed 29 athletes in OG history, in all sports, that recieved a D-I scholarship. 29 out of ?????? that is a small percentage of every boy and girl that has played all sports at OG over the past 45 years.

No MOST played club or travel or played some extra special combine or work out TELL ME ONE WHO DID NOT ?

#20 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Member No.: 9154

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostRocketman, on 01 March 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

no..........HE was a basketball star when I was in grade school...........

That would have to be T.H. He was also a great teacher of the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users