8 Private Schools in the State Tourney...Not bad.

28 replies to this topic

#1 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

There are a total of 8 private schools in the state tourney. 50% not as bad as I thought it would be. But D3... come on...

D4 - 2
D3 - ALL 4
D2 - Only 1 (impressed)
D1 - Only 1 (impressed)

Discuss...

#2 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 3042

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

col. eastmoor in d3 is public. but will privates win 3 of 4 divisions is the real question.

#3 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

There was a time when this would get a strong lengthy comment from me. After years of PROPHET like observation and evaluation, I have determined it doesn't much matter any more. AAU is slowly becoming KING and the way kids jump from school to school is slowly eroding the value of high school sports. Add the frontal attack on public education by politicians and school leaders are becoming tired of all the hassle sports are starting to bring to their doors. This will eventually lead to the demise of sports in high schools. LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#4 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

View Postkaizen, on 22 March 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

col. eastmoor in d3 is public. but will privates win 3 of 4 divisions is the real question.

Eastmoor "Academy" is public? Are they "public" just like Africentric is "public?"

#5 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Member No.: 9232

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

View PostLimaJock, on 22 March 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

There was a time when this would get a strong lengthy comment from me. After years of PROPHET like observation and evaluation, I have determined it doesn't much matter any more. AAU is slowly becoming KING and the way kids jump from school to school is slowly eroding the value of high school sports. Add the frontal attack on public education by politicians and school leaders are becoming tired of all the hassle sports are starting to bring to their doors. This will eventually lead to the demise of sports in high schools. LJ

What he said...

#6 BlueJay

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,786 posts

Member No.: 4123

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

Private will for sure win D3. CCC will probably win D2

'97, '98, '99, '05, '08, '10 Division VI State Champions

#7 Tinman

All District

• Members
  • 206 posts

Member No.: 9400

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostLimaJock, on 22 March 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Afraid so, very well said.

#8 polkhigh33

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 5318

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

Eastmoor gets kids from all over the CPS district, just like Africentric.
Always a watchful eyes on those Tiffin Calvert Senecas, Marion Local Flyers, Fort Loramie Redskins , New Albany Eagles.

#9 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

View Postpolkhigh33, on 22 March 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Eastmoor gets kids from all over the CPS district, just like Africentric.

So they are "public" then...

#10 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

Yes.... They are a very Public School with a controlled enrollment that attracts students from a population area of 1,000,000. Sounds like Miller City, Holgate or Continental.

#11 Rd2Glory

All District

• Members
  • 495 posts

Member No.: 3050

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

We should have separate tournaments for every type of school. No school should have to compete against another that is different in any way, especially if one aspect of the other school could be deemed an advantage.

We could have separate tournaments for:

Publics
"Publics"
Publics in big cities
Publics in small cities
"Publics" in big cities
"Publics" in small cities
Publics in rural areas
Publics in rural areas with no alternative schools in the area
Publics with open enrollment
Publics without open enrollment
Publics with limited open enrollment
Publics in low income areas
Publics in high income areas
Publics in middle income areas
Recruiting Privates
Non-Recruiting Privates
Privates that accept vouchers
Privates that don't accept vouchers
Privates in big cities
Privates in small cities
Privates in rural areas

Then break up each of those divisions based on enrollment numbers. Then move some schools up based on how many kids come from outside the district or if they've won too much recently. Then move teams down if they have a certain amount of kids with free lunches. I'm thinking 70 divisions would be enough to sort it out fairly. That way, we'll know who the best team is from every possible "genre" of school.

#12 Bigdogg79

All District

• Members
  • 340 posts

Member No.: 5845

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostRd2Glory, on 23 March 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

We should have separate tournaments for every type of school. No school should have to compete against another that is different in any way, especially if one aspect of the other school could be deemed an advantage.

Publics
"Publics"
Publics in big cities
Publics in small cities
"Publics" in big cities
Publics in rural areas
Recruiting Privates
Non-Recruiting Privates
Privates in big cities
Privates in small cities
Privates in rural areas

Then break up each of those divisions based on enrollment numbers. Then move some schools up based on how many kids come from outside the district or if they've won too much recently. Then move teams down if they have a certain amount of kids with free lunches. I'm thinking 70 divisions would be enough to sort it out fairly. That way, we'll know who the best team is from every possible "genre" of school.

The OHSAA, which is governed by it's member schools has a mission statement. Guess what the purpose is? (Hint it is not so fans can have bragging rights that their school team can win state championships) Really easy to look up.

#13 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Publics
"Publics"
Publics in big cities
Publics in small cities
"Publics" in big cities
Publics in rural areas
Recruiting Privates
Non-Recruiting Privates
Privates in big cities
Privates in small cities
Privates in rural areas

I think your name says it all. Do you coach an AAU team by that name??? LJ

#14 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:18 PM

View PostLimaJock, on 23 March 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

The parents of Private schools pay the same property taxes as all home owners, but they spend their own extra money to send their kids to Private schools. Is it for a better education, compared to some cities, yes? Is it for better sports programs? Is the AAU the downfall of HS sports? where does the money come for players to play AAU, if they have no money? Some schools, even though they are public, most or all of their players are Catholic, does that count as a private school. PCL, MAC as an example. Why does this always come up around tournament time? May the best team win, no excuses. Only if? Just a thought. Good luck to all teams, private or public.... May the best and/or luckiest teams win.

#15 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

View Postvon, on 23 March 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

The parents of Private schools pay the same property taxes as all home owners, but they spend their own extra money to send their kids to Private schools. Is it for a better education, compared to some cities, yes? Is it for better sports programs? Is the AAU the downfall of HS sports? where does the money come for players to play AAU, if they have no money? Some schools, even though they are public, most or all of their players are Catholic, does that count as a private school. PCL, MAC as an example. Why does this always come up around tournament time? May the best team win, no excuses. Only if? Just a thought. Good luck to all teams, private or public.... May the best and/or luckiest teams win.
Most of the players in the MAC and PCL are Catholic, because they are two heavily Catholic areas.
Mr B

#16 Rd2Glory

All District

• Members
  • 495 posts

Member No.: 3050

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostBigdogg79, on 23 March 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

The OHSAA, which is governed by it's member schools has a mission statement. Guess what the purpose is? (Hint it is not so fans can have bragging rights that their school team can win state championships) Really easy to look up.

I was being facetious.

View PostLimaJock, on 23 March 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

I don't know that my name says anything, much less that it says "it all." I've never been to an AAU game in my life, nor am I aware of any AAU team by the name of "Rd2Glory," "Glory Road," "Glory Road: 2 (The Reboot)," "Glory Hole," or any other moniker that could be inferred from "Rd2Glory." So I guess the answer is "no," I do not coach an AAU team by that name.

#17 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostRd2Glory, on 24 March 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

I was being facetious.

I don't know that my name says anything, much less that it says "it all." I've never been to an AAU game in my life, nor am I aware of any AAU team by the name of "Rd2Glory," "Glory Road," "Glory Road: 2 (The Reboot)," "Glory Hole," or any other moniker that could be inferred from "Rd2Glory." So I guess the answer is "no," I do not coach an AAU team by that name.

:sarcasm: Kids today due to parents drive to get little one scholly will run their van over grandma to get it done, hence Road 2 Glory----get it.. HS Sports will be on life support in 5 years. LJ

#18 Bigdogg79

All District

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostRd2Glory, on 24 March 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

I know you were, but I was not. Giving out more trophies to all those groups would be closer to the OHSAA's stated Mission.

#19 dawgbone

All District

• Members
  • 288 posts

Member No.: 310

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Publics
"Publics"
Publics in big cities
Publics in small cities
"Publics" in big cities
Publics in rural areas
Recruiting Privates
Non-Recruiting Privates
Privates in big cities
Privates in small cities
Privates in rural areas

Oh heck....why even bother with the tournament? Just give a trophy to everyone then no one's feelings get hurt.

#20 Bigdogg79

All District

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

View Postdawgbone, on 25 March 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Oh heck....why even bother with the tournament? Just give a trophy to everyone then no one's feelings get hurt.

Actually, I would be in favor of going the European route and taking sports out of schools. AAU is taking over anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users