Baseball recruits

28 replies to this topic

#1 redskin rowdy

All State

• Members
  • 542 posts

Member No.: 9000

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

I must say.... after reading a lot of these topics and noticing how many kids go to college to play baseball.....

Wapak was a very successful team the past 3 years, and just graduated the class with the most wins all time for a class... were they just full of average players with great team chemistry or what?... Because i notice none of those players are in college playing. And it seems like a lot of other teams always send people somewhere at least

#2 charlie brown

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Member No.: 390

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

A player has to "want it". They have to get their own name out there by going to camps and showcases and getting on good summer teams. They have to email coaches at colleges they are interested in, fill out the questionnaire and send a video. The earlier they develop a relationship with the coach, the better.

My guess is that the four guys mentioned in this forum have worked their butts off to get recruited and get offers.

I'm sure there are alot of good players in this area getting missed, but they also have to take some of the responsibilty to get their name and information out there. The whole "if you're good enough, they will find you" idea is for the birds. It is tough for college coaches to get out to see kids at high school games in the spring, that is why if you go to some of the major 17U tournaments in the summer, you will see tons of scouts. There is alot to be said about good summer teams and kids getting recruited.

#3 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Are you sure they "want" to play college baseball? Where are they going to school? Sure, if their intent is to go to D1 college they may not be able to play....but if they're going to a D2 or D3 school, they may not be playing because they're not interested. I've seen some D2 and D3 college teams that have players who didn't start in HS. Some small colleges just don't have enough kids interested to fill their teams with "stars". Before you assume that they didn't get "recruited"...you may want to make sure that they wanted to play college baseball.

If they did, then you have to look at the facts that CharlieBrown stated.....what did they do to let colleges know they wanted to play? HS baseball in this area isn't a real hotbed for recruiters/coaches/scouts. Coaches don't just randomly show up to watch games like they may do for basketball or football....the kids & coaches need to make sure that the college coaches are invited.....or better yet, as Charlie also said....go to the coaches (at a camp/showcase/etc) rather than waiting for them to come to you. You've got a much better chance of being noticed/recruited if you're playing in front of 50 coaches than you do having one coach come to your game...and hope he likes what he sees.

#4 charlie brown

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Lots of good points charliesheen. Just an FYI, college coaches are not allowed to speak to an athlete off campus until July 1 before their senior year. So, while its a very good idea to get on a coaches radar early, the only way you can speak to them face to face is if you go to the campus and meet with them. Its still a good idea to let them know what showcases and tournaments you will be playing in...email or call them and let them know. Also, college coaches cannot call you until after July 1 either. You can call them but they cannot call you back. Emails are fine, both ways.

I happened to be standing next to a college coach at a tournament once. A player came up after the game with his dad all excited and said "Hi Coach! I'm So and So!" Coach replied, "It's nice to meet you but I'm not allowed to talk to you now." The dad looked kind of stunned and a little put off. I tried to explain to the poor kid and his dad why. Its really important to know the rules.

NCAA rules....such fun.

#5 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Interesting stuff two Charlies. Thanks for the info

#6 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

Interesting topic, i think it's difficult for kids in this area to seriously consider baseball beyond high school for a couple of reasons.

1. You're on Ohio, you're spring season is barely 6 weeks long, and many of those days are not baseball friendly.
2. Many smaller type schools in this are, this means most of your better athletes are multi-sport athletes. Nowadays, summer is for...basketball team camps and 7 on 7's for football. Baseball has been pushed out of alot of kids schedules in the summer months. YOu can't do everything.

#7 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

I guess I forget how things are at other schools in the area up here. We get scouts(college and pro) out. Sending players on to college just seems to be a given here.

Now I'm sure more than a few of our guys are out doing the summer stuff, getting their name out there, etc. And at some point, something had to get the scouts TO come here(once we got Billingsley and Niese both in the majors in a short period of time, I think it was a given that they'd look in Defiance in the future). But when your school's resume boast 2 major league players, one who went to Ohio State(and got drafted), one who went to Michigan(and got drafted, still in the minors), and now 2 at Louisville(one drafted and sure to be again in 2 years), you're on the radar. We're lucky. A lot of other schools aren't.

Something else to keep in mind...look at where the other 3 that were posted are from. OG and Napoleon both play Defiance. Not saying that has a whole lot to do with it, but all it would take is for one scout to show up for that game and see you do well and they'll look at you further. The other is from Patrick Henry. They currently have 2 players in the minors, with one a top prospect for the Diamondbacks. Where you play, right or not, has a lot to do with things. But both of the Charlie's are right as well......if you REALLY want to play in college, you have to find a way to get your name out there.

Edited by dhsdawg06, 22 November 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#8 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

dhs....you're somewhat right in your analysis. Defiance does get scouts to come out....but it's more because of the kids that they're watching than it is that you had Billingsley and Niese. Scouts don't come to watch HS's in NW Ohio because they had a couple of MLB kids....they come because you have guys like Dace Kime and Anthony Kidston. The scouts know of them because of what they do outside of school. Kidston has been to FL twice this fall and played on one of the top fall league teams in the Midwest. The scouts find them from those teams....not because they're at DHS.

Same with Schroeder & Kline. As far as I know there hasn't been one scout at an OG game since Schroeder got to school there. He made his mark playing for summer and fall teams....and putting on good showings at showcases. He is getting looks from MLB teams....and they could care less if he hit a home run in April against a HS kid throwing 70 mph fastballs.

There will likely be some scouts at OG this spring...but since he's signed with KY they're only going to be MLB scouts.....same with Defiance, though Defiance does have some other potential college kids.

I guess my point is this....very few scouts are interested in watching HS kids play in a HS game....especially against the competition we have in this area......and in most cases, they simply won't "find" a kid who only plays HS baseball. They want to see kids perform with and against other top-level talent....meaning showcases or upper level summer or fall tournamnets.

Edited by charliesheen, 23 November 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#9 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

For sure on everything you just said. Let me clarify what I meant with the Billingsley/Niese thing. I think our great prospects have been spaced out well enough that the scouts have already heard their name by the time they see them next. For example, when they came to see Billingsley his senior year, Niese was a sophomore. They heard his name. He then goes out and makes a bigger name for himself, then when they came to scout him, Burgoon was playing varsity. Then they come for Burgoon, Hancock and Kime were playing. Came for Kime, Kidston was playing. I don't doubt that they don't necessarily care what they see in the HS games, but just hearing that name before seeing them later on I'm sure helped. Especially if they did happen to have a good game.

Or maybe I'm just looking at it all the wrong way and everything is done in the summer. It's very possible.

#10 charlie brown

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

And I think you are forgetting one very important thing....Defiance coach Tom Held. I think Kline and Schroeder have worked out with him somewhat. Not sure about Parcher. And of course the Defiance players work out with him everyday. I believe that he has many, many contacts out there that helps these kids as well.
I have seen college scouts at high school games, but my guess is that its because a player or hs coach has made the initial contact, sent a video or filled out a questionnaire that made them interested. It goes back to marketing yourself if you want to play at the next level. And while the college scout knows that the competition at the high school level may not be as high, they are very good at looking beyond that and projecting a players abilities.

#11 bballcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Member No.: 46

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Dave Kleck interviewed Kline on the radio and he gave recognition to coach Held for working with him. These kids all played for exceptional summer teams and that is where they are getting noticed. My son played for the Riverbandits and never would have gotten any notices if it weren't for coach Coleman and Bach. They are very good at exposing their kids to colleges. Most of these small school kids wouldn't have a chance otherwise. As for Defiance and the bigger schools, they may still get some exposure but the hard work and time spent playing for these teams is where it is really coming from. By the way, Kline played for a summer team out of Columbus I beleive.

#12 NapoleonBaseball1

All League

• Members
  • 84 posts

Member No.: 6074

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

Not sure how it worked with the Defiance, Ottawa-Glandorf, or Patrick Henry recent letters of intent.. The three that have signed from Napoleon in the last two years (Art Warren-University of Cincy, Austin Monnin & Collin Parcher-Ohio Dominican) were all gettting attention or offers before playing for the Bandits. These guys all did a great job of attending showcases and were able to get exposure very early.. The showcase route (and picking the right ones to attend by listening to people like Coach Held) is the best way to get watched.. Scouts/colleges do not attend regular season legion games very often or ACME games for that matter. Maybe at the State Tournament or Regional levels, but not the regular season. Some very good "invitation" only showcases that these guys were at included: Cross Roads Baseball Classic, Cure for Cancer at Walsh Jesuit and maybe the best is the Perfect Game. In the case of Warren, he also played for the Midwest Redbirds, one of the top fall programs in the entire Midwest and they travel extensively and are loaded with DI players and those on the radar to get drafted.

Edited by NapoleonBaseball1, 01 December 2011 - 08:51 AM.

#13 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

A lot of Div-1 schools are looking at smaller D-3 colleges for their recruits. Not HS. This allows them to see if the player can handle the college grades and baseball, prior to giving them an offer. Still only a partial scholarship in most cases. Thus dividing one scholarship over 4 recruits.

#14 charlie brown

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

View Postcaldwell, on 01 December 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

A lot of Div-1 schools are looking at smaller D-3 colleges for their recruits. Not HS. This allows them to see if the player can handle the college grades and baseball, prior to giving them an offer. Still only a partial scholarship in most cases. Thus dividing one scholarship over 4 recruits.
I disagree with this. Maybe some do look at JUCOs or other smaller colleges for some players, but I have seen many, many scouts at 17U tournaments...obviously looking for high school talent. Heck, some are asking for players to commit even before their junior year! They obviously are projecting that these guys will continue to get better and contribute. Maybe some of the more elite programs are looking at current college players.
Partial scholarships...yes. Rarely does a recruit receive a full scholarship in baseball. That's what happens when you only get 11.7 scholarships for 25 guys. And the smallest the scholarship can be is 25%.
But, if you look at the rosters, most of the players are coming from high schools, not from other smaller colleges (most list on the roster if they are transferring from another college).

#15 Procell

All District

• Members
  • 101 posts

Member No.: 3619

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Alot of what has been said here is true. The truly talented kids are going to make their marks...based on their play, and the ability to get their name out there.

These kids play as much as they possibly can...school ball, summer ball, fall balll, some get to showcases, and are then invited to other showcases where they get to play against the "best of the best"...and they find out what they really have when it comes to playing the game.

I know most of all the players mentioned above. Kime, Schroeder, Kidston, Niese, Parcher...
I know that these guys all want to play at the next levell...and have the ability to go as far as they want with their respective work ethic.

Schroeder played legion ball for Ottawa and Gene Stechschulte...and regardless of what other's think happened in Ottawa, Gene has always helped his players, and he helped Casey in his path with baseball. Schroeder went on to the Riverbandits which was a good move for him personally, and believe it or not...it really is about making good moves for yourself...putting yourself in the best possible situation to be seen.

He worked out with Coach Held...which I hear is a pretty tough workout...He went to some showcases...East Coast Invite, he recently attended a showcase in Jupiter, Florida which really raised his stock...he caught some of the hardest throwing pitcher's he has ever caught...most throwing 90+ mph...he hit two out of the park...against 90+ pitchers...he struggled against the same pitcher's as well. it is all a learning process.
he threw out 4 base runners...all with pretty amazing foot speed.

He has played for the Riverbandits and the Midwest Redbird organization...two premier teams one summer one fall team...playing against the best baseball talent in the area. at this level in fall ball...those playing fall baseball are "baseball" players reaching for the next level.

So, when it comes to hard work...being seen...Schroeder did what he needed to do by being around the right people at the right time. He has the skills and talent to compete...yea, he will have k's in HS still...yea, he will still have runners he won't throw out during a HS season...he will still make errors on the field...
Big Deal.

Parcher is still going to make his mistakes, Kidston is still going to have mental lapses and let a ball get past him as well...they are still HS kids trying to improve and get better.

Do they deserve to be where they are...did they work hard for what they have accomplished...ABSOLUTELY.

Coaches like Held, Coleman, Bachman, and Stechschulte all have been instrumental in the development of the young men mentioned above.

Everyone has an axe to grind with somebody...the young men have worked hard for everything that they have. they stand out among their peers...they obviously stand out to college recruiter's and pro scouts.

So, if you want Jr. to be a player.
you have to get him in volved in a good baseball program with a coach who will help push.
You have to get him to showcases...yes...you will have to fork out some money for these showcases...other's you don't except for your travel and food.
you have to get involved with programs like College Prospects and others like it out there.
you have to market yourself to the different college programs
You have to be willing to work on your skills when others are watching football/playing other sports...
when the snow is flying you are in a building somewhere hitting and throwing a baseball.
Getting involved in a work out program like FAST or working out with a trainer....

These are the things that I know most of these young men have done and it has paid off for them...
just sayin....

#16 bballcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Good Post!

#17 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Prodaddy,
there has been a lot of talk around about some unsavory types hanging out around Putnam Co. the past month or so...........I have a sneaking suspicion that $$ will talk before one of these kids sees the inside of a college classroom...........RM
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#18 bballcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Napoleon Riverbandits were presented their state championship rings saturday night at the Napoleon/Defiance boys basketball game and Chad Billingsley returned to present the rings to the players. What a treat for everyone.

#19 charlie brown

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

those playing fall baseball are "baseball" players reaching for the next level
- Procell
So, if you don't play fall baseball, this means you are NOT a "baseball" player reaching for the next level"? Really? Hmmmm...interesting. While I'm sure its helpful for exposure, I take issue with the fact that you suggest that unless you play fall baseball you are not truly a "baseball" player". I think I heard through the grapevine that Kline was asked to play for the Redbirds, but decided to play football his senior year. Good for him...you never get that back. But, I don't think it makes him any less a "baseball" player.

Procell - you seem very defensive in your statement "Everyone has an axe to grind with somebody" . Not sure why. This has been nothing but a positive thread giving advice to folks about how to reach the next level so I'm not sure why the comment,

Did all of these guys - Schroeder, Parcher, Kline, Kidson - work hard to get where they are today? Yes. They went to showcases and played on good summer teams. Do they deserve their success? Yes. Will any of them become pro baseball players? Maybe. It will be fun to watch their progress.

My suggestion - look around for a summer team that is a good fit for you. Ask about the schedule, what tournaments do they go to? Are those tourneys well-attended by college scouts? Does your son have a "dream" school? Attend one of their camps. Some are expensive, some are not. Don't get discouraged. But as suggested before - honestly evaluate your son's talent. Is he D1, D2, D3 or NAIA talent? Does HE want to play college, or do YOU want him to.

Edited by charlie brown, 05 December 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#20 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Krauss didn't play fall ball. He played Football and Basketball. I don't think AJ Meyer played fall ball either.

I really hate the trend of one sport athletes.
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users