Falcon86's Content

There have been 35 items by Falcon86 (Search limited from 27-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#345819 All BVC

Posted by Falcon86 on 06 March 2012 - 02:58 PM in Girls Basketball

What a travesty......Alivia Recker left off the first team. If you compare her to the Gerten girl from Leipsic, there is only one category that Recker gives up to Gerten......Points per game.......

PPG Recker 11.3 pts; Gerten12.1pts;
FG% Recker 41.3%, Gerten 39.6%;
FT% Recker 77.3%, Gerten 64.4%;
3 pt % Recker 30.8%, Gerten 20.6%;
Rebounds Recker 109 (5.5 pg), Gerten 48 (2.4 pg);
Assists Recker 81 (4.1 pg), Gerten 29 (1.5 pg);
Turnovers Recker 52 (2.6 pg), Gerten 73 (3.7 pg);
Steals Recker 44 (2.2 pg), Gerten 26 (1.3 pg);
Blocked shots Recker 15, Gerten 1.

How does Gerten make 1st team ahead of Alivia Recker? If I am coaching a BVC All-Star team, I take Alivia Recker before Gerten every time. Is this due to the coaches wanting to "spread the wealth" and get as many teams with players on 1st team? Obama has made his way into the BVC balloting!!

#345811 All BVC

Posted by Falcon86 on 06 March 2012 - 02:40 PM in Boys Basketball

I am not surprised at the POY, what does surprise me is the coach of the year. Coach Williman did a lot with very little and won a piece fo the BVC Championship. He deserved COY honors. I think this is a perfect example of the other BVC coaches black balling him. The other coaches surely recognized what he did, yet they still vote Vermillion?

PostPlayer went on record many times this year talking about all the talent the Devils have. With that said, Williman did it with less.

I honestly don't think Williman gets hung up on the personal accolades, so he will have no ill feelings toward this. He is a great coach, a coach that has taught a lot of basketball to other BVC coaches.

#343038 Allen East's bittersweet win

Posted by Falcon86 on 24 February 2012 - 05:32 PM in Girls Basketball

View Postgamekeeper, on 23 February 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

LB's Coach did it last year on Senior night never played a senior and the won by 25 points. Tell me what he lesson he taught that senior. And he only had 2 to play.

Gamekeeper is all wet on this one........went back and looked at some pictures from McComb game last year.......first off, LB was still in the hunt for BVC championship....the night LB played McComb, Arlington and Arcadia had to play....If Arcadia beat Arlington, LB ties for the BVC (side note, Arcadia took Arlington to OT).....anyway, LB started its normal 5. McComb leads 15-13 after 1, Lb leads 25-19 at half, LB up by 14 after 3 with Craft cramping up, LB wins 53-44. Perfect example of why SENIORS ARE NOT GUARANTEED A START ON SENIOR NIGHT.

You can argue all you want on this one, but if a coach starts seniors and loses an important game because of it, people will call for his/her head. This plays right into why our country is growing "soft", everything has to be fair.....sorry, not everything in life is fair!

I will always contend that you put your "second string" in the game when it is out of hand one way or the other. If a player deserves recognigtion, pull them off with time remaining and let the fans give them an ovation at that point, but never give up a conference title so a senior can start on senior night.

#342807 BVC BOYS BASKETBALL...

Posted by Falcon86 on 23 February 2012 - 09:26 AM in Boys Basketball

View PostPostPlayer, on 23 February 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

I was/am shocked that LB somehow shared the title with Arlington. I expected Leipsic or Vanlue to be there with Atown, but NOT LB. Either LB really got it together late in the year (obviously) or Leipsic/Vanlue tanked late. I do think that Leipsic tanked late, which is odd considering how good their team is.

I will say this, when we thumped LB this year, I walked away saying this was the least talented LB team Williman has had in a long time. Kudos to Williman for turning that ship around, cause I would have never thought that would happen.

So...since Atown beat LB handily in the head-to-head....just saying :pickles:

JUST KIDDING!

I must say that having watched LB Boys Bball from the mid 90's this is by far the single best coaching performance by Steve Williman. He took an average team and won the BVC with it. He has been spoiled with talent since I started attending LB games to watch my nephew years ago. The state champion team was loaded, followed up by Hyde and Craft. This year he did it with youth. If Williman ever deserved a BVC coach of the year, this will be the year. Of course, Post will lobby for Co-Coach of the year honors.

I look forward to the next couple years to see what this LB group will do. They have some nice talent in the 8th & 9th grade, as well as some more sophomores that should be able to contribute. Good luck LB in the tournament run!

#342521 Gym size comparisons

Posted by Falcon86 on 22 February 2012 - 08:12 AM in Boys Basketball

View Postcountry boy, on 21 February 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Since when does ONU hold Regional Final games?

Every year for the girls tournament.

#342416 Gym size comparisons

Posted by Falcon86 on 21 February 2012 - 04:14 PM in Boys Basketball

Forget about gym size, but is Ohio Northern the worst gym ever to hold a Regional Final? Spectators sit about 1/2 block away from the floor in the dark! Of course, maybe that is on purpose!

#342415 Best Junior High Teams in Northwest Ohio?

Posted by Falcon86 on 21 February 2012 - 03:59 PM in Boys Basketball

I agree that we should not even worry about Junior High players at this point, but since I was able to take in some 8th grade basketball this year I will give my two cents:

SPPS is a nice ball club, but too many egos on the bench and in the stands. Next year when the 3 schools come together there will be a lot of hard feelings to overcome. The point guard is a nice player, but again, he needs to move out of "Dad's" shadow and grow up. He whined a lot in the two games I saw. Also, they ended the season with 2 losses (Glandorf and Kalida).

Arlington also had a nice team. Someone told me that LB beat them in a close game in the 8th grade BVC tourney. They had 5 solid players and again the point guard carries a big ego. Saw them win one and lose one. In the game they lost he was out of control. Another example of too much pressure from Mom and Pop in the bleachers. But I will say this team had the best 5 players that I saw in Junior High.

A good friend of mine said LB has 2 really nice players that COULD contribute at the Varsity level next year. But I question that because LB is loaded with Sophomores this year on JV & Varsity. If they are varsity material, that could be scary for the next couple of years.

In a few posts I have mentioned parents. I hate to see parents that are "living the dream" through their kids. Kids deserve to be able to grow up, not be molded.

Enough junior high talk.........we can talk about them in a couple years.

#342381 BVC POY AND ALL CONFERENCE SELECTIONS

Posted by Falcon86 on 21 February 2012 - 10:54 AM in Girls Basketball

I'll throw in my 2 cents:

I tried to watch as many BVC games as possible this year. Didn't see LB but once, but following newpaper and talking with other BVC gurus:

POY - Craft

1st Team:
Craft - LB
Am. Recker - Arl
Palmer - Arc
Myers - LB
Hipsher - HN

2nd Team:

The other Recker - Arl
Hunter - Arl
Maag - PG
Gerten - Lpsc
Clymer - McC

1-3 were locks, Myers is deserving, 2nd Recker and Hipsher were neck and neck IMO.

Good Luck to all BVC teams in the Tournament run, make Northwest Ohio proud!

#341550 2012 - 2013 BVC

Posted by Falcon86 on 16 February 2012 - 02:34 PM in Girls Basketball

I too would take the Palmer girl, as long as her dad isn't part of the package deal......could be a much better player without dad on the sideline.

I see it this way next year.

1. McComb
2. Arcadia
3. LB
4. Leipsic
5. PG
6. Cory Rawson
7. Arlington
8. Hardin Northern
9. Vanlue
10. Van Buren

#341549 Arlington's week ahead

Posted by Falcon86 on 16 February 2012 - 02:25 PM in Girls Basketball

If you go back to the string from last years "BVC POY" PostPlayer says (and I quote), "I agree, - however, Brunswick isn't as glamourous as a pick in most eyes. I, for one, believe she is the POY pick hands down. No other player in our conference brings the total package she has plus she sits on the
BVC championship team. A point guard that can shoot, beat you off the drive and always plays the best guard on the opposing team..........normally shuts down the opposing teams best player."

Sounds a lot like the Craft girl from LB this year, huh? But Post player is lobbying for a Co-POY? I know Post Player from his HS days and this does not surprise me......

I hear LB won the BVC and the Craft girl was pretty dominant all year. Sounds to me like there is no question......but Post will come up with some argument that the Recker girl lead the league in scoring between the 5th and 3rd minutes in the third quarter all year, or some other useless fact.